Asus Eee PC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NitrouStang96 said:
Damn dude, sorry. I wasn't making fun of you - I've never even used linux.

it's okay, i was a little harsh... i've been on-call these last few days, ran a few calls in the middle of the night to come home to the 1yo awake, so i've been letting the SWMBO sleep since she is prego and getting little to no sleep lately.

i've been debating whether or not to just put Linux on the sony, I do like tinkering with computers, altho I may not know all the jargon I will admit I do know a thing or too.... enough to get me in some trouble :D

I'll be working from home today, so once i'm off a few confrence calls i'm going to dig around to see if I want to install Linux on the sony or not.... and since it's just a few feet from me I'm very tempted to do so.... just gotta make sure I know what I'm getting into before I do it.

I'm sure Yuri or Kevin will be able to tell you if you'll have any compatibility issues - hopefully you can get open office or an equivalent on the linux for your word processing. Beyond that, a web browser is a web browser, so no compatibility issues there, so if you like the size and battery life of the thing, I'd pull the trigger. I hadn't previously seen that it's using a SSD - It'll be sweet to see the OS boot faster than a new 3GHz quad core :p

Plus, something of that size would be the most perfect portable movie player as long as you had a little extra drive space or an external dvd player.

OH! Also, if you're into this sort of thing... you can get a USB GPS receiver for $25-60 and have a nice 7" GPS unit.

PS:
IM IN NO MOOD.

for all of this linux windows talk i think i should mention the the asus Eee pc comes with xp drivers on the included software disk in case you want to install xp on the thing. and since there are a few ways to do a bare bones install of xp it wouldn't take up all the on board space.

BraeHaus said:
it's okay, i was a little harsh... i've been on-call these last few days, ran a few calls in the middle of the night to come home to the 1yo awake, so i've been letting the SWMBO sleep since she is prego and getting little to no sleep lately.

i've been debating whether or not to just put Linux on the sony, I do like tinkering with computers, altho I may not know all the jargon I will admit I do know a thing or too.... enough to get me in some trouble :D

I'll be working from home today, so once i'm off a few confrence calls i'm going to dig around to see if I want to install Linux on the sony or not.... and since it's just a few feet from me I'm very tempted to do so.... just gotta make sure I know what I'm getting into before I do it.
If you do decide to try it out, just download a LiveCD. That way nothing on the computer is touched and you can test drive the OS so to speak. It'll be a little sluggish since it's loading everything off the CD but you'll get the feel.

z987k said:
If you do decide to try it out, just download a LiveCD. That way nothing on the computer is touched and you can test drive the OS so to speak. It'll be a little sluggish since it's loading everything off the CD but you'll get the feel.

it's funny you suggested this, I actually took the time and downloaded a few versions of linux to try to whole LiveCD thing.... i've been messing around with it, but I can't get the damn internet to work...

i'd keep messing around with it, but SWMBO is giving me dirty looks

OK, reading back through all of this.....I didn't realize the thing had a solid state HDD. That's badass. I can't wait until they make them with enough storage to handle my MS bloatware. :D

I guess maybe the thing will perform for the average user out of the box....my experience with Linux is very limited, and was a number of years ago. It was not a good experience, but I suppose is has to be more user friendly now. This is making me want to try one out.

Back