Hops in Scandinavia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumuglyknuckles

Reaction score
Hey, I'm living in southern Finland and think hops would do well here. Similar climate to Washington. We have wild hops growing during the summer.

Anyone know where I can order rhizosomes from here in Europe? Also, is there a particular species that is easier to start growing or would grow better in my climate? Any suggested books?
Thanks all

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

Considering your region, probably a lot of the noble hops would do well since they come from a similar area.

Thanks firestem, I also found a supplier in Germany

The local wild hops work too, I got these from a neighbors yard:
IMG_20130824_5743.JPG

They are great for bittering and taste, but the aroma is pretty weak.

There was some studies done by "a farming school" and they found out that the imported hops don't work well here in Finland, because the Autumn days are so long. The imported hops "waited" for daylight hours to reduce before starting to produce cones and because of that the cones didn't mature before the winter.

That's bad news, I can still try though

Vesku, I tried these wild hops thus year and the pale alei made came out with a strong vegetable-mint taste. I figure I'll let it age and try again next month

alright, so those hops did not ease up on the vegetable profile. its a vegetable ale for sure. shame, the beer itself is great.

The local wild hops work too, I got these from a neighbors yard:
IMG_20130824_5743.JPG

They are great for bittering and taste, but the aroma is pretty weak.

There was some studies done by "a farming school" and they found out that the imported hops don't work well here in Finland, because the Autumn days are so long. The imported hops "waited" for daylight hours to reduce before starting to produce cones and because of that the cones didn't mature before the winter.

Some of the local hops are quite good, if you can find an old farm that has growths, they tend to be really good.

Northern brewer/nordbrau rhizomes are usually available at the better gardening centers, though get several, they tend not to be sorted by gender.

Some of the local hops are quite good, if you can find an old farm that has growths, they tend to be really good.

Northern brewer/nordbrau rhizomes are usually available at the better gardening centers, though get several, they tend not to be sorted by gender.

Hmm, that's interesting since the cultivar 'Northern Brewer' is female. Which means you're either getting ripped off, or ripped off.

If you're receiving a male plant, someone has clearly snookered you for your money.

I actually won't know till late summer, since they are not labeled by gender, but the vendor said they have had several varieties over the years and some had male flowers.

They are labeled humulus lupulus nordbrau, and come from a reputable grower in the Netherlands I have been at before.

You were describing a vegetal flavor from the local hops. Did you dry them thoroughly before use? I believe hops are supposed to dry to 75% of the original weight. For example 1kg wet would yield 250g dry. Using "green" hops would definitely produce some of the flavors you described.

Just to point out that Finland is not in Scandinavia... Just sayin'.

Finland is most definitely in Scandinavia. Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and Norway are the country's referred to as Scandinavia.

Finland is most definitely in Scandinavia. Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and Norway are the country's referred to as Scandinavia.

Umm, no, Finland is not part of the Scandinavian peninsula geographically. Finnish is not a Scandinavian language. Finns are not of the same ethnicity as Scandinavians, either.

Check my location. I'd say that I have first hand knowledge.

and if you don't believe him, believe me.

Finland is part of the nordic countries, but neither linguistically or geographically part of scandinavia.

and if you don't believe him, believe me.

Finland is part of the nordic countries, but neither linguistically or geographically part of scandinavia.

Check @Kharnynb location as well. Etelä-Savo is a district in eastern Finland.

But then again, Finland is a small town in Minnesota ;-)

100 years ago, it was mandatory for all estate owners in Finland to grow hops. Many of them still have the hop fences standing. A few years ago, you could just go to them and ask for some hops for free. Not anymore since the hipster wannabes have invaded here as well.

You were describing a vegetal flavor from the local hops. Did you dry them thoroughly before use? I believe hops are supposed to dry to 75% of the original weight. For example 1kg wet would yield 250g dry. Using "green" hops would definitely produce some of the flavors you described.

yes i used them fresh. istn that what wethopping is? the breweries dont dry the hops before use when making their wethop brews.

Just to point out that Finland is not in Scandinavia... Just sayin'.

dude! you really had to take it there?! that is not the point of this thread. would you also like to point out all of the insignificant medals in obscure sports finnish atheletes have?...(sigh) exhausting

I actually won't know till late summer, since they are not labeled by gender, but the vendor said they have had several varieties over the years and some had male flowers.

They are labeled humulus lupulus nordbrau, and come from a reputable grower in the Netherlands I have been at before.

hey, i managed to get my hands on 2 centennial rhizosomes that are growing beautifully here in Uusimaa. if they survive the winter and you want some clippings PM me in the spring

will do, the (german variety) northern brewer are growing great, but no cones this year, i guess the cold early summer was bit too much for them.

So we might be able to trade some :D

I also have an old finnish brewing hop growing at our cottage, no clue what species other than that it has been used for brewing in the late 19th century.

Latest posts

Back