fizzy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
I brewed an extrach IPA it had 2 cans of amber malt extract, it also had some roasted wood chips added into the fermenter. Also whne I transfered into the fermenter there was quite a burn mark at the bottom, consequently the color of the IPA if far from pale, it is very amber. I let it to ferment for 2 weeks in the primary. Some are good some are different very inconsistent at that. I have had a few that turn straight into fiz when sipped, has this happened to anybody else. If I need to supply more info just let me know.

Did you mix up the priming liquid before bottling? You want the priming sugar to be thoroughly mixed before bottling. That sounds like the issue to me...

Soulive21 said:
Did you mix up the priming liquid before bottling? You want the priming sugar to be thoroughly mixed before bottling. That sounds like the issue to me...

Yeah, I was hoping that you would have an interesting flavor profile to report from the burn. That happened to me a time or two and actually resulted in an interesting beer.

Nothing done prior to bottling would produce those results. Priming sugar should be dissolved in boiling water and then put into the bottling bucket before the beer. Rack the beer onto the sugar water primer and it will mix perfectly every time.

The burn gives it a good taste you can still taste IPA style from the hops but other than that it tastes like an amber ale with a coffe off taste almost choclately. its just tooo fizzy, and suggestions

How much priming sugar did you use, and how much water did you boil it in? And lastly, how did you mix it into the bottling bucket. If you answer those questions, I'll have lots of suggestions, I think.

I believe it was one ounce of priming sugar, it came with a kit, I boiled it in a cup of water and then mixed when there was just a little bit of wort in the bottling bucket. It seemed to mix up evenly but my auto syphon was getting wood chips stuck in it and the flow was rather slow and unsteady. The beer is good really good I had a long "research and development" meeting with about 8 brews, some were just very fizzy, in the whole batch I have had 2 that just started to foam out of the bottle mixing up all the yeast at the bottom. I was very careful when opening not to disturb any thing. If you can help let me know untill then I will be taking more detailed notes on brew day to ensure quality and consistency.

hopsalot said:
I believe it was one ounce of priming sugar, it came with a kit, I boiled it in a cup of water and then mixed when there was just a little bit of wort in the bottling bucket. It seemed to mix up evenly but my auto syphon was getting wood chips stuck in it and the flow was rather slow and unsteady. The beer is good really good I had a long "research and development" meeting with about 8 brews, some were just very fizzy, in the whole batch I have had 2 that just started to foam out of the bottle mixing up all the yeast at the bottom. I was very careful when opening not to disturb any thing. If you can help let me know untill then I will be taking more detailed notes on brew day to ensure quality and consistency.

One ounce seems low for a 5 gallon batch, most kits I've seen have a 5 ounce package of priming sugar.

When I rack to my bottling bucket I have a hose that reaches all the way to the bottom of the bucket and points to the side so that I get a nice swirling action. If your running straight down the side of the bottling bucket it might not be getting mixed well.

Alternatively, (and less likely) maybe not all of your bottles were as clean/sanitized as you thought and possibly a few bottles have an infection.

Back