Use for used Heineken Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggy_fenton

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of a good use for those empty Heineken mini kegs? I know they're probably usless for beer ever again but maybe someone has come up with a clever NEW use for one? Anyone......?

Sharpshooting for dummies?

Seriously though, I seem to recall that someone did fill these again
with brew and use them over until they got to the point of being
worn out.

boo boo said:
Sharpshooting for dummies?

Seriously though, I seem to recall that someone did fill these again
with brew and use them over until they got to the point of being
worn out.

My first kegging system used these little 5L tin kegs and a CO2 cart. Worked great, but the kegs start lightly rusting at the seams after 2-3 uses. It imparts a nasty metallic taste to the beer. I still have the equip and would probably use it for party kegs if I could find SS 5L kegs for it. Here's a pic of the tap

Back in the old days we used to set fire to dried and crumpled sticks of plant leaves wrapped in pulped wood fibre and inhale the byproducts. When the little glass and ceramic plates filled with the remnants of these expired conflagrations, it was customary to discard the contents into a non-flammable receptable until such a time that it was beyond consideration that any further flame might ensue.

I suspect the Heiny keg would fill that niche very nicely. If you put a rudimentary hinge on it and allow it to close it would add a nice touch of class to the compulsory bar table bi-evening maintenance session.

Maybe punch the top out with a screwdriver and keep it in the car for those long roadtrips where you can't find a rest stop.

My friend made lamps from similar mini kegs...I think they were Coors or Miller though. Same idea. Just drill a hole in the bottom to run the chord up through. Remove the nozzle thing so you can fit the light socket in and find a small shade.

I don't know about the heineken kegs, because they have that wierd top tap system, but I know that in alleged distillation experiments (which only took place in my dreams, feds) the other ones with the faucet thing that slides out the bottom work well for fermentation. Stopper with duct tape over it in the top hole, and a few pieces of duct tape over the faucet thing, it makes a pretty airtight seal. If you really wanted to go overboard you could pull the faucet out, run a little silicone around it, and slide it back in to make a wicked tight seal. I plan on trying that out with my test run (I figure better to potentially sacrifice the 1st, and probably least well made beer to experimental bottling), I just have to wait for a party or dinner or wife's business trip so I can justify buying another mini keg.

I'm modifying one of them to use as a small still. I have a metal teapot thats the same diameter to attach to it. Now I just have to do a bit of welding.

Back