Custom 6-packs, caps & labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone have a good, affordable source for custom boxes/6-packs, caps & labels? Looking for small quantity orders at a reasonable price.

This is really just for ego and not a necessity, but if I can get some nice packaging done at an affordable price, it might be cool.

I can't speak highly enough if bottlemark. I have noticed that the caps can scratch if you're not using a bench top capper. Not too bad or even noticeable though.
I use the labelizer mentioned above.

For six pax make a stencil and spray paint on the bare cardboard ones. Gives it a nice industrial look.

Thanks everyone! Also, as Kombat asked above, where is a good place to get bare cardboard 6-packs?

Williams
Austin homebrew
Midwest
Most of the big online retailers will carry them. Williams used to give a price break when you bought more than 10 I believe. Should be $1.00 each and heavier cardboard than the typical 6 pack.

I did some shopping around and Austin is nice because their price-breaks start at quantities as low as 4.

As for the caps, I'm probably too late for my current brews, but for future brews, when I have more planning time, I think I'll test an order with Bottlemark.

That label design site is nice too, but I'm not ready to commit to relabeling bottles I just scrubbed clean. Once I have some tried and true recipes I'll give that a go.

For my current brews, I'm going to grab a pack of printable 3/4" stickers for my caps:
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Labels/Identification-Labels/Print-or-Write-Multi_Use-Labels_05408.htm?N=4294967289%204294965712%204294965710%204294965728&Ns=Rank|0||Product%20Number|1&refchannel=593759baa4c2a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

I did some shopping around and Austin is nice because their price-breaks start at quantities as low as 4.

As for the caps, I'm probably too late for my current brews, but for future brews, when I have more planning time, I think I'll test an order with Bottlemark.

That label design site is nice too, but I'm not ready to commit to relabeling bottles I just scrubbed clean. Once I have some tried and true recipes I'll give that a go.

For my current brews, I'm going to grab a pack of printable 3/4" stickers for my caps:
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Labels/Identification-Labels/Print-or-Write-Multi_Use-Labels_05408.htm?N=4294967289%204294965712%204294965710%204294965728&Ns=Rank|0||Product%20Number|1&refchannel=593759baa4c2a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

Use milk as an adhesive (yes, milk). Just wet the backs of the labels (regular printer paper is fine, glossy paper is better) slightly with some milk and press against the bottle and hold there for a few seconds. It holds really well and a couple minute soak in hot water and they slip right off the bottle.

I also love bottlemark for caps. Caps are, what... 12 cents each?

I use beer bottle labels from onlinelabels.com. Print them in a laser or inkjet printer, they look fantastic.

Awesome tip KT. That one will have to make it into my next "What I've Learned" blog post!

I'll check that site out this afternoon, Homebrewdad.

Thanks!

Use milk as an adhesive (yes, milk). Just wet the backs of the labels (regular printer paper is fine, glossy paper is better) slightly with some milk and press against the bottle and hold there for a few seconds. It holds really well and a couple minute soak in hot water and they slip right off the bottle.

I can vouch for this method - it really works!

Immediately after applying the labels, they'll appear quite wrinkly (because the label is wet). But after it dries out, it smoothes out quite nicely. I can't believe it works, but it does.

As a homebrewer I have learned to always have gelatin available. Gelatin and IPA. Actually, I've only done it once and won't be going back to glue sticks (which I used after milk). With the gelatin it actually gets stronger as it gets colder. Meaning if you use decent paper you can actually keep the brews in the cooler. Put the label under hot water and it falls right off.

I assume with either pseudo-adhesive, I just brush the stuff on the back of the label and slap it right on (no top coat)?

Very stupid question, but as I've never used gelatin before in my homebrew escapades, would one simply look up gelatin on any of the popular homebrew supply sites and that's what you get?

I was thinking it's just plain gelatin that you can pickup at any grocery store.

snaps10 said:
As a homebrewer I have learned to always have gelatin available. Gelatin and IPA. Actually, I've only done it once and won't be going back to glue sticks (which I used after milk). With the gelatin it actually gets stronger as it gets colder. Meaning if you use decent paper you can actually keep the brews in the cooler. Put the label under hot water and it falls right off.

I'm guessing you'd use plain unflavored gelatin from the supermarket. But what proportion of water to gelatin are we talking about? And what should the water temp be?

Very stupid question, but as I've never used gelatin before in my homebrew escapades, would one simply look up gelatin on any of the popular homebrew supply sites and that's what you get?

I buy mine in bulk at the Bulk Barn (do they have those in the US?). I just buy a big scoopful and it lasts me years, and is super-cheap.

Do a search for Esky proof labels on the site here. I can link as on the mobile app right now.

Gelatin is awesome for clearing up beer too.

Back