Wheat IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Are there any parameters?
I'm curious and made up a future recipe using the BJCP for an IPA, but with lots of wheat.
I've seen the Shock Top wheat IPA, but have yet to try it for reference. I'm not one to care much for wheat beers, but...

I think they are called White IPAs. I've had a couple recently, maybe from Sam Adams and Saranac.

rodwha said:
Are there any parameters?
I'm curious and made up a future recipe using the BJCP for an IPA, but with lots of wheat.
I've seen the Shock Top wheat IPA, but have yet to try it for reference. I'm not one to care much for wheat beers, but...

Then try a rye IpA, Denny has one in the recipe wiki it's really good!

It's not a wheat in the true sense, doesn't use any orange, coriander, etc. I cultured the yeast from a bottle, I think it's a Belgian strain

I think white ipa's use a wit yeast, are you talking an American wheat? Boulevard mades a hoppy American wheat. I just saw it today but opted for Pliny instead.

lagunitas little sumpin sumpin. Best hoppy wheat beer I've ever had.

I think they are called White IPAs.
I personally like the name White IPA for big American style wheat beer, but most of the commercial versions do use Belgian yeast and have the spiced character of that style. I prefer to use a cleaner American yeast in mine. There is also Wheatwine, but like Barleywine, it tends to be more malt forward than an IPA.

Would you use WLP 001 or WLP 320?

Just came up with a quick idea of what I'd try were I to make one next round:

4 lbs Briess pilsen LME (flameout)
4 lbs Bavarian wheat DME
1 lb crystal 60
1/2 oz Centennial @ 60 mins
1 1/2 oz Centennial @ 15/5 mins/7 day dry hop
5.5 gal, 67.3 IBU's, 9* SRM, 5.9% ABV

The guidelines I follow from BYO for white IPAs are as follows. Don't overdo the wheat and use a good attenuating yeast. 35% of the grainbill for wheat and 001 works for me. Put simply it could get a bit cloying and overpower the hops.

I brewed this recently (I will roughly convert to American units):

Batch size - 5 gal (20l)

O.G. 1.066
F.G. ??

8 lbs premium pilsner malt
4 lbs wheat malt

0.5 oz Cascade 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 45 min
0.5 oz Cascade 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade flameout
Brewtarget estimated IBU 29.8

Safbrew S-33

I am very excited to see how it will turn out. It has been in primary for 11 days now. I plan to leave it there for 3-4 weeks (that means about 2 more weeks), then bottle without using the secondary conditioning vessel. I can post photos when it is done.

Back