Grains/Hops "Starter kit"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
I'm just moving past the recipe kits into formulating my own recipes and ingredients.

I'm also interested in doing some smaller, 3 gallon BIAB stovetop batches.

Problem is, buying in anything less than 10lb bags of grain, or 5lb bags of extract, is dumb. Same for hops < 8oz or so.

I have access to DME and limited hops/yeast locally, but the nearest shop with grains is about a 40 minute drive away, so I can't just run out and grab something on a whim, I kind of have to plan my attack.

If you had $75 or so to spend on some basic grains and hops to just have around, that could form the basis for a good number of recipes, what would you go with? Or, put another way, what do you go through the most and would want to constantly have on hand?

I tend to stick to lighter colored beers, so I'd generally avoid the darker caramels/crystals.

Thanks

I am fortunate to have a great shop a few minutes away with a 'grain card' program that keeps my costs down, so I have not yet gotten into the habit of buying in bulk. I do track my grain use though and these are the big ones for me in order of weight

* US 2 row (preferably organic)
* Marris Otter
* Munich Malt (if you are into lighter beers, you may prefer Vienna over Munich, they are extremely similar)
* Crystal 10/40/60/80 (you could just keep a little 10 and a little 80 on hand, and then blend them to get the intermediate numbers)
* Carapils

Looking over my last years worth of brewing, I could brew over half of my recipes with just the above malts.

For base malts,I'd say Rahr 2-row & Marris Otter (crisp). Maybe some crystal 10L & carapils for common pale ales & the like.
Then some "c" hops for APA/PA/IPA ales. English hops for when you want English hop flavors. German hops for that smooth spice.

Just ordered:

10 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Crystal 20L
3 oz Cascade

and 8 ounces of the "Magic Hop Dust", for making a small-batch random pale ale.

Also got a packet of nottingham, as I'll be making a 3-gallon batch of Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale. Which will take about half those grains, so I'll have ~5 2-row, and a pound of vienna and a pound of 20l, along with about an ounce of cascade and 8oz of the dust. That'll be a mini mash/extract recipe though, most likely.

Thanks for the suggestions

Back