Mold in my beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
i brewed an all grain batch of cream of three crops cream ale about 3 months ago... i had been looking for a corny keg for some time.. hoping to be able to keg my first batch and not have to bottle... problem is one week turned into 3.. and then 3 weeks turned into over 3 months in the primary..

i now have a corny keg, and transferred my beer into the secondary after this long span of time. i took a small sample out to taste and it really isnt half bad, but is giving me a pretty killer stomach ache.

after looking at the primary, the lid to the plastic fermenter has some black mold growing in the lip of the lid. did i spoil this batch by letting it sit in the primary for too long?

AHHHHH

beanbagz1 said:
i brewed an all grain batch of cream of three crops cream ale about 3 months ago... i had been looking for a corny keg for some time.. hoping to be able to keg my first batch and not have to bottle... problem is one week turned into 3.. and then 3 weeks turned into over 3 months in the primary..

i now have a corny keg, and transferred my beer into the secondary after this long span of time. i took a small sample out to taste and it really isnt half bad, but is giving me a pretty killer stomach ache.

after looking at the primary, the lid to the plastic fermenter has some black mold growing in the lip of the lid. did i spoil this batch by letting it sit in the primary for too long?

AHHHHH

I'd look somewhere in your process for a sanitation breach. Extra time in primary won't encourage mold growth. You likely picked up a bug at some point in the process and inadvertently gave it access to your beer.

It doesn't take much. Last year I dumped 3 batches that had all gushed and gone sour (not the good kind). After spending a couple hour reviewing my process and gear, I found the likely culprit. I had a tiny cut in one of my transfer hoses so small I could only see it when holding the tube up to a light.

I replaced the tubing and my auto siphon for good measure. Have not had an unintentionally sour batch since.

My bet is you put your gear away wet and the mold or whatever it is is lurking in some hard to clean spot.

I'd look somewhere in your process for a sanitation breach. Extra time in primary won't encourage mold growth. You likely picked up a bug at some point in the process and inadvertently gave it access to your beer.

It doesn't take much. Last year I dumped 3 batches that had all gushed and gone sour (not the good kind). After spending a couple hour reviewing my process and gear, I found the likely culprit. I had a tiny cut in one of my transfer hoses so small I could only see it when holding the tube up to a light.

I replaced the tubing and my auto siphon for good measure. Have not had an unintentionally sour batch since.

My bet is you put your gear away wet and the mold or whatever it is is lurking in some hard to clean spot.

so i should dump it? my beer in no way tastes sour... there was just some black
mold on the inside of the lid.. it wasnt growing on the beer.

Thats hard to advise. You could try another to see if you have the same reaction. Or see if someone else will try it and whether they have the same reaction. But let your intuition guide you. If you think it made you sick, don't drink it.

I've drunk a lot of my beers with faults. But I've never had one that I thought would make me ill. You could always look online for someone who might do biological analysis. I think I remember some time back reading that white labs offers some sort of overall analysis, including bacteria levels.

Latest posts

Back