Suggestions for aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charne0922

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing and I chose an Oktoberfest recipe. Since I don't have room for lagering, I chose Nottingham yeast to allow fermentation at ale temperatures.

My question is this -

The recipe I am using called for 5 days in the primary, 10-14 days in the secondary, and greater than three weeks in the bottles. I am now on the 10th day in the secondary and would like to know if anyone has any improvements or suggestions to what is called for in the recipe. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Right now, the carboy is at a temperature of 70.

If you added nothing to the secondary it was a waste of time. Just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks.

Posting the recipe would help people comment.

Do some reading on this forum regarding the need for a Secondary. Most don't do it, just go 3-4 weeks on the primary. I did a secondary for my first batch, until I read more about it here. Now I will only secondary if I am adding fruit or something. Just bottled a Nut Brown yesterday after 3+ weeks on the primary and it looks terrific. Crystal clear.

I suggest you discontinue the use of gratuitous underlining on your future posts.

Oh, and in almost all things in brewing, when in doubt, be patient. Never rush anything. More time is pretty much always better than less time when it comes to fermentation and conditioning.

Back