You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad that came out ok for you. I know how much it sucks to throw out a batch, especially when you can't afford to brew another.
Yeah,it was a tough one to decide on. but I will say this; When I skimmed it off to dry hop,after droping in the bag of hops,I sprayed the surface with starsan. didn't kill it like I'd hoped. But it did arrest it's developement enough to weaken it. the yeast dominated again,knocking off 3 more points. I got 47 bottles yesterday after racking out from under it. Here's hopin...
I watched brew master on netflix last night. Watching dogfish head dump 400 barrels of 120min IPA worth a retail of half a million dollars was painful.

I watched that one. They had their lab people,brewers & all together trying to come up with a way to save it. Sometimes the magic works,& sometimes it doesn't. I for one got lucky this time.

insanim8er said:
I watched brew master on netflix last night. Watching dogfish head dump 400 barrels of 120min IPA worth a retail of half a million dollars was painful.

Good thing it wasn't any "good" beer from a better brewery. That really would've been a big loss.

When SWMBO (self proclaimed "non beer drinker") asks for a Saison at a beer fest and immediately knows that they poured her the wrong beer after one taste.

Haha she is a beer connoisseur and doesn't know it. I win.

Good thing it wasn't any "good" beer from a better brewery. That really would've been a big loss.

There's always a hater somewhere... $500,000 is a lot of money regardless of the company. I like their uniqueness, but not everything is a slam dunk; however, they're obviously doing something right since they're one of the largest breweries in the us.

insanim8er said:
There's always a hater somewhere... $500,000 is a lot of money regardless of the company. I like their uniqueness, but not everything is a slam dunk; however, they're obviously doing something right since they're one of the largest breweries in the us.
Yea they definitely live up to their motto throwing some off the wall brews into the market.

Yea they definitely live up to their motto throwing some off the wall brews into the market.

Especially when they never know if something will scale up from the pilot batch.

It's only 500k because of their unrealistic expectations of how much the beer is worth. Ever had one? For that matter 90 minute, an okay beer nothing fantastic, 4 for 10 bucks? I pay that for allagash tripel, or sixpoint resin pounders, but for a sub par beer? Screw that.

Alright, alright. I'll give credit where credit is due. Without DFH, how would we all know that ancient beer sucked?

I am a big fan of their Burton Baton especially since my mom keeps a case at their house for me.

It's only 500k because of their unrealistic expectations of how much the beer is worth. Ever had one? For that matter 90 minute, an okay beer nothing fantastic, 4 for 10 bucks? I pay that for allagash tripel, or sixpoint resin pounders, but for a sub par beer? Screw that.

Ya, but 400 gallons of a 15-20% abv is a LOT of grain and hops, so I'm sure those batches aren't cheap to produce.

I went to pick up some green flash west coast IPA last night and it was 7.2%abv and they wanted $9.50 for four bottles, and I'm not even sure if they were 12oz. They looked small. I said forget that and got a mix 12pk of Ninkasi.

Maybe once I graduate and start making money I can afford some lol

Alright, alright. I'll give credit where credit is due. Without DFH, how would we all know that ancient beer sucked?

Lol, that's kinda funny... I got a bottle of their sah'tea. I wasn't a fan...

But it was no where as nasty as the new belgium coconut curry hef. God damn that was foul.

Lol, that's kinda funny... I got a bottle of their sah'tea. I wasn't a fan...

But it was no where as nasty as the new belgium coconut curry hef. God damn that was foul.
I just threw up a little in my mouth...and I'm the only one I know that can drink vodka and milk.

insanim8er said:
Lol, that's kinda funny... I got a bottle of their sah'tea. I wasn't a fan... But it was no where as nasty as the new belgium coconut curry hef. God damn that was foul.

I've got a hard time feeling bad for anyone who would buy coconut curry beer. Did tht actually sound good to you?

Leadgolem said:
I just threw up a little in my mouth...and I'm the only one I know that can drink vodka and milk.

Vodka and milk? Dear god. I used to enjoy scotch and cream occasionally when I was 10x the drunk I am now, but vodka and milk???

Vodka and milk? Dear god. I used to enjoy scotch and cream occasionally when I was 10x the drunk I am now, but vodka and milk???

Vodka is just alcoholic water...

But that sounds horrible. I almost lost my lunch on a scotch and soda.

Vodka is just alcoholic water...

But that sounds horrible. I almost lost my lunch on a scotch and soda.
Oh, it's almost horrifically awful. The proteins in the milk coagulate in the glass. So, it's more like drinking alcoholic cottage cheese.

It was a bet. Out of the three of us that were stupid enough to try it, I was the only one who was able to keep it down.

When driving at 65 an notice a bottle tree in the medium that must have fell out someone's truck an no way to stop an pic it up while ur girlfriend is like only u would see that an know what it was. Lol I'm sure y'all would know it too.

Leadgolem said:
Oh, it's almost horrifically awful. The proteins in the milk coagulate in the glass. So, it's more like drinking alcoholic cottage cheese. It was a bet. Out of the three of us that were stupid enough to try it, I was the only one who was able to keep it down.

They have a drink in Greece, Ouzo (Licorice liqueur) and 7-Up, that curds too. Everybody had to try it but most passed it to me after a sip. :D

Oh, it's almost horrifically awful. The proteins in the milk coagulate in the glass. So, it's more like drinking alcoholic cottage cheese.

It was a bet. Out of the three of us that were stupid enough to try it, I was the only one who was able to keep it down.

I take it you guys have never had a white russian? The Dude disapproves.

I've got a hard time feeling bad for anyone who would buy coconut curry beer. Did tht actually sound good to you?

No need to feel sorry for me... The idea of it made me cringe too, but I love Thai food. The guy at the shop talked it up. I figured what the hell.

I of course checked the beer advocat rating, and I believe it was in the 80s. My girlfriend didn't think it was as bad as I did, but it was. Trust me. I think it tasted like funky sweet cardboard. It didn't remind me of curry, coconut or a hef. Blah.

I was also dumb enough to try the voodoo doughnut bacon maple from rouge... That disgusting concoction cost $18 at the brewery. At least I didn't pay for it.

I'd put both of those as the worst beers I've tried.

They have a drink in Greece, Ouzo (Licorice liqueur) and 7-Up, that curds too. Everybody had to try it but most passed it to me after a sip. :D

Huh? Never had Ouzo do that - since there is no milk in it how can it curd anyway? It does go cloudy (can't remember that name they have for it) but not lumpy like curd.
That stuff is just sickly though - like drinking cough syrup to get drunk :drunk: a nip wouldn't be to bad but more than that...

Huh? Never had Ouzo do that - since there is no milk in it how can it curd anyway? It does go cloudy (can't remember that name they have for it) but not lumpy like curd.
That stuff is just sickly though - like drinking cough syrup to get drunk :drunk: a nip wouldn't be to bad but more than that...

I loves me some ouzo. I also like absinthe, which is somewhat similar. Not sure what the Greek term for the cloudiness is, but with absinthe, they call that the "louche," when you add ice-cold water to the booze and the oils precipitate out.

I take it you guys have never had a white russian? The Dude disapproves.
Sure I have, I mean she had the tightest...Oh your talking about drinks. Yeah, I've had a white russian. If those are made well they don't clabber. There is sugar in them from the liquor too.

I loves me some ouzo. I also like absinthe, which is somewhat similar. Not sure what the Greek term for the cloudiness is, but with absinthe, they call that the "louche," when you add ice-cold water to the booze and the oils precipitate out.

Too bad it's not real absinthe sold in the states...

You know you're a homebrewer when, as a non-chemist, speaking to a large audience of other non-chemists, you can say "the oils precipitate out" in full confidence that everybody will know exactly what you're talking about.

Come to think of it, we learn about all kinds of stuff -- thermal expansion, concentration and dilution, density, a little fluid dynamics if you're designing a chiller -- why isn't Chem 101 taught by brewing beer?

You know you're a homebrewer when, as a non-chemist, speaking to a large audience of other non-chemists, you can say "the oils precipitate out" in full confidence that everybody will know exactly what you're talking about.

Come to think of it, we learn about all kinds of stuff -- thermal expansion, concentration and dilution, density, a little fluid dynamics if you're designing a chiller -- why isn't Chem 101 taught by brewing beer?

If my high school chemistry teacher would have said: Pay Attention! This stuff relates to making beer.

I would have gotten an A. Instead I was busy distracting the ladies...

feinbera said:

So does that mean I can start putting chemist and engineering on my résumé

When your kids know the differences in grain by snacking out of the mill hopper then stick around to help mix the crush up.

image-1653910911.jpg

Actually the ban was lifted a few years ago. Its state by state but the whole "real absinthe" thing is more misinformation than truth at this point.

Oh ya... Good. I hate when 100 year old laws that are purposeless aren't amended. Drink your Woodworm juice, and enjoy, America!

insanim8er said:
Damn I'd hate to squeeze a 10 gallon batch through that mill... Even 5 looks like a bit of a chore.

It's not too bad. Looks like a corona mill. I routinely do double brew days(2x 5 gallons) and crush all my grain with my corona the night before.

Back