More sugar next time????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
Hey Y'all

After 15 days of waiting I opened another beer today to see how things were progressing. Taste is fine, but I was hoping for more carbonation. I'm I expecting to much.

I completed my priming on an individual bottle basis, instead of adding a sugar mix to the secondary prior to bottling. It definitely has more that last weekend, but like I said I was hoping for more.

Is this again a matter of waiting longer or adding a bit more sugar next time around.

I know my storage room is getting colder so I wondering if the temperature is stalling the yeast. It's fall here in Canada now, so the nights are less that 10 celcius, or about 45 F.

From the guy who's looking for more gas!!!! :p

If at all possible, you coud move to a warmer room.
I generally put my bottles in a spare bedroom for at least a week, sometimes 2, and then down to the cellar.
Otherwise, just wait a little longer and you should be fine.
That temp, though, is a little low for an ale (if that's what you have), but still should be fine, just will take a little longer.
Cheers,

I've got the same problem at the moment. My German Lager is virtually flat and has no head at all after two weeks in the bottles.

I'll ride it out for another week or two, then open them, prime them again, and recap them all if I still haven't got anything. That'll be a real pain though...

Shambolic,
Is the beer at lager temps right now or at cellar temp? If you have it at lager temp you may have to let it warm up for a bit. The cold has the yeast dormant and they aren't making any CO2. Let it sit at a warmer temp, 65F or what ever room tepm is, for about 2 weeks and then try one. Everything should be fine then. :) After that you can return it to lagering.
Cheers,

Back