Jalapeno Poppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll just post a bunch of pics. The recipe comes from a Pampered Chef catalog. It is at the end of this post.

These are great. I make them exactly as the recipe describes. You can add back some of the jalapeno seeds if you want them to be blistering hot. Careful, though! They go great with beer.

jalepeno_poppers_recipe_pic.JPG
jalepeno_poppers_recipe.JPG

jalapenos.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_40191.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_40221.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_4018.JPG

another awesome Jalapeno recipe is stuffed bacon wrapped.

1.wash, cut the ends off and hollow out the peppers
2.stuff with cream cheese
3. wrap in bacon and use tooth pics to hold bacon to peppers.
4. cook on grill until bacon is cooked.
5.??????????
6.Profit

-=jason=-

another awesome Jalapeno recipe is stuffed bacon wrapped.

1.wash, cut the ends off and hollow out the peppers
2.stuff with cream cheese
3. wrap in bacon and use tooth pics to hold bacon to peppers.
4. cook on grill until bacon is cooked.
5.??????????
6.Profit

-=jason=-

We call those armadillo eggs. I stuff with cream cheese mixed with some cheddar and then sprinkle cheddar on top of the stuffing before wraping the bacon around the jalapeno.

FSR402 made some stuffed popper last year. I think the recipe was:

slice jalepeno
fill with cream cheese
insert smoky link chunk
wrap with bacon
smoke in a smoker

Yeah, they were awesum!

I will be making these on sunday. Thanks for the recipe. SWMBO and I are trying to loose some weight. These will be a little splurge but the lowfat ingredients are good. A guy has to splurge a bit for the SuperBowl!

This recipe sounds great, I'll have to give it a shot. I've made these a couple of times and they are fantastic. Go great with an IPA.

5451225238_e59477101e.jpg

Ingredients
2 links Mexican chorizo, casings removed
1/2 pound smoked gouda, shredded
1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
1 egg
1/2 cup cream cheese
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 large jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and halved

Directions
Special Equipment: parchment paper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Brown chorizo in a skillet over medium-high heat, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place into a large mixing bowl. Add the cheese, red onion, egg, cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste. Press into jalapeno halves and assemble on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.

these all look great. last time i tried to make stuffed jalapenos, the peppers were way too hot. Got any tips on how to gauge spicyness from the appearance/smell of the peppers?

HOLY Crap.... not sure about the Chorizo links you buy but the 1.99 specials at the store would be a **** load more than stuff 12 Jalapenos halved.

-=Jason=-

EDIT: maybe I need to be buying larger Japenos

RE0405_Gouda-Chorizo-Jalapeno-Peppers_s4x3_lg.jpg

We call those armadillo eggs. I stuff with cream cheese mixed with some cheddar and then sprinkle cheddar on top of the stuffing before wraping the bacon around the jalapeno.

They call them Atomic Buffalo Turds on the BBQ forums. I add a little pulled pork to my filling and some BBQ rub on the bacon and then smoke them.

these all look great. last time i tried to make stuffed jalapenos, the peppers were way too hot. Got any tips on how to gauge spicyness from the appearance/smell of the peppers?

Typically the more "veins" on the jalapeno the more heat it has so buy ones that are slick on the outside. Soaking them in warm water can also help pull some of the heat out. That or don't eat peppers.

You are removing the seeds, right?

HOLY Crap.... not sure about the Chorizo links you buy but the 1.99 specials at the store would be a **** load more than stuff 12 Jalapenos halved.

-=Jason=-

EDIT: maybe I need to be buying larger Japenos

RE0405_Gouda-Chorizo-Jalapeno-Peppers_s4x3_lg.jpg

Chorizo is super cheap but jalapenos are too. Usually around $1/lb and a pound is about 15 jalapenos so just buy a few extra. Also, chorizo in migas the next morning is a fantastic.

Typically the more "veins" on the jalapeno the more heat it has so buy ones that are slick on the outside. Soaking them in warm water can also help pull some of the heat out. That or don't eat peppers.

You are removing the seeds, right?

yep, i dig out the seeds and the pith. it just seems like some jalapenos i get are pretty mild and others are just blazing hot.

thanks for the tips. :rockin:

yep, i dig out the seeds and the pith. it just seems like some jalapenos i get are pretty mild and others are just blazing hot.

It is an agricultural product. That is just the way it is. Even peppers from the same plant can vary greatly.

it just seems like some jalapenos i get are pretty mild and others are just blazing hot.

I've found this to be very true. Made them for a party 2 months ago and they were hot hot. Got some complaints (I love them that way).

The batch I made for superbowl sunday were not hot at all. I complained about that :D

passedpawn said:
I've found this to be very true. Made them for a party 2 months ago and they were hot hot. Got some complaints (I love them that way).

The batch I made for superbowl sunday were not hot at all. I complained about that :D

Same here. Tasted like green pepper. I was expecting a little heat. Still good though.

We've been making a variety based a friend's homemade chorizo.

Mix 1 6 inch link of chorizo with shredded cheese for the stuffing
Clean and stuff 6 med Jalapeños
Wrap with thick sliced bacon

Grill until tasty:p

I can get the chorizo recipe if needed.

so we make what we like to refer to as "irish poppers"; they're amazing. Made 'em for a St. Paddy's day party originally and they were gone in no time, which was dissapointing to me as i only had a couple..

Ingredients:
Jalopenos (sliced long ways)
Cabbage (chopped- amount: try to equal it to the sausage)
Mild ground Sausage
Dubliner Cheese (needs to be grated)
A Malty Beer (whatevers on hand)
Bacon (cut in half-width)

We partially cook the jalopenos in the pan first then remove.
Simply brown sausage, add in cabbage and beer; stir and simmer on high heat. After the majority of the beer has reduced start stirring in the cheese. Should be rather thick, if need be sprinkle in flour to help thicken up the goo.
preheat oven to 450 or broil; whatever your preference.
Then we remove it from heat and stuff the jalopenos so there is a fair amount of stuffing while also cooking the bacon in a pan partially (this is so that it crisps up in short amount of time in the oven). Then wrap the jalopenos with the bacon and cook till visually done.

Kind of in the same fashion to try, Bacon wrapped Dates!

Ingredients:

Bag of Dates
Gorgonzolla Cheese
Bacon (cut in thirds)

precook the bacon a bit, filet the dates open length-wise (not sliceing completely through). stuff it the best you can with the cheese and then wrap in bacon, use toothpic to hold it shut. i think my wife broiled these; i was already a couple bombers in and wasn't paying complete attention. anyways they're a treasure of flavor to try if you've never had them.

dates.jpg

Been making them a few years. I cooke them before the meal so we can have a snack while the meal is cooking.

image-2569235296.jpg

Those Irish poppers sound really good. And I normally have everything but the jalapenos.

Back