Second Parti-gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
As I sample a bottle of barleywine from my first PG (2 months and needs more time) I am thinking about my next PG batch which will be next weekend.
The Plan:
5 gal 1.085ish IIPA
5 gal 1.050ish Dark Wheat

The Mash (45 min)
12lb 2 Row
12lb MO
1lb Crystal 40

No Neck IIPA
OG 1.085

Hop Schedule:
60 mins .75oz Warrior
60 mins .75oz Chinook
15 mins 1.0oz Citra
15 mins .75oz Galena
1 min 1.0oz Citra
1 min 1.0oz Willamette
dry hop .7oz Galena
dry hop 1.0oz Citra
dry hop 1.0oz Chinook

Yeast:
1098 from a batch of Cream Ale

As far as the Wheat, my wife likes the Blue Star Wheat clone from BYO so I'll be using that as a template. This is what I will have to focus most of my attention on...
Because I am still learning about this process I will have to play it by ear (or hydrometer) as far as what to expect from the lighter runnings.

Best case scenario:
Base wort of ~1.025 from lighter runnings
3.3lb Wheat LME
.5lb Carapils (capped)
.5lb Wheat Malt (capped)
.5lb Chocolate Malt (capped)

After collecting the first runnings from the 45 min mash I will add the Carapils, Wheat Malt, and Chocolate, mash for 30 minutes, then collect what I need for the wheat.

Hop Schedule:
60 min .5oz Nugget
15min .5oz Willamette
1min .5oz Willamette

Yeast:
S-05

Input?

i wouldnt add choc to a wheat, but it is your beer.
the wheat your wife likes isnt a dark wheat, but ii havent seen the byo clone you reference.
this probably isnt much help. sorry!

The clone recipe is just a template. My wife drinks pretty much anything unless its superhopped.
The chocolate is just an experiment so who knows if I'll like it.

I settled on the hops above for the IIPA. I used my house IPA hop schedule and added other hops to reach ~90IBU.
Strike water heating. Wish me luck.

First runnings yielded 4.5 gallons @1.090. I wanted 5.5g at about 1.090 into the fermentor so I added 1.4oz DME at 15 minutes to boost it a little. Boiled down to about 4.75 gallons and got a reading of 1.090 so I messed up a reading some where. No worries, its beer in the end. Hydro sample tasted good too.

Capped the first runnings with Chocolate, Carapils and Wheat malt, mashed for 30 minutes and collected 4.25 gallons second runnings @1.054. This was way higher than I anticipated so I ran some numbers. Because I was using 3lbs Wheat DME and my target was 6gallons at an OG ~1.050, I used only 3 gallons of the second runnings and added 4 gallons of water. OG ended up being about 1.053 which is a little high, but it was pretty close for my experiment.
Hydro sample was a little more bitter than I expected but when that diminished the chocolate came through in a very subtle and nice way. Hopefully this will remain.
I'll let you know in 6 weeks or so.

Back