Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Finally tried this and what a great beer. If any of you haven't tried this yet, you probably won't be disappointed.

That it took this long for you to enjoy the king of Oaties!! I have been in love with Sammy Smith's since forever... That is one thing NOBODY can make fun of hippies for, people would never believe the quality beer the kids are drinking on lot!!

Have you tried Young's Oatmeal Stout? Both of these are my absolute favorites (excepting my own of course). They also make a Double Chocolate Stout that is superb (Youngs). Give that a try!

Hippie said:
That it took this long for you to enjoy the king of Oaties!! I have been in love with Sammy Smith's since forever... That is one thing NOBODY can make fun of hippies for, people would never believe the quality beer the kids are drinking on lot!!

I can still churckle when I see them drinking it in the summer time and it's served ice cold.

Just drank the SS Oatmeal Stout tonight. It definately had a nice, silky smooth mouth feel. Mine had a metallic taste, however. Maybe something to do with the time it took to get out here to Washington state.

I actually thought the actual bottle was dark brown. I was shocked when I started pouring and it was actually a clear bottle...that's a dark beer!

Yeaup. Tasty stuff. I am a huge fan of Oatmeal Stout. In fact that was my first AG. Troegs also makes a pretty decent one. Not at all the same, fairly hoppy, but a good brew imo.

Just popped a bottle myself after hearing all the hoopla, and the 90 score on beeradvocate. Taste is very chocolately. The texture is really amazing to me if you keep it on your tongue for a few seconds.

I am surprised though as there seems to be a bit of a "bite" on the tongue in the aftertaste. Is this a normal character of this beer, or is it maybe not so fresh?:tank:

themikehall said:
The Oatmeal Stoat is amazing. But i am in love sam smith. Try Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout... have it with a steak, it doesn't get any better.

---
DrinkingBeer.net - always a good idea

If you can part with half a bottle, marinate a filet in SSOS with some spices (I like garlic, pepper and dill) for several hours in the fridge. Grill that puppy mid-rare and pour up a tall one of the same beer. The roasted notes come out in the steak and then when the steak is gone, you still have the beer to remind you of the steak.
Now THAT's Classical Conditioning at it's finest I assure it.

Maybe I got a bad one. I just bought one to try it out. Trying to expand my beer flavors.

This was the most sugary flavored beer Ive ever had. I dumped it out after about 4 swigs.

SoCalBrewing said:
Maybe I got a bad one. I just bought one to try it out. Trying to expand my beer flavors.

This was the most sugary flavored beer Ive ever had. I dumped it out after about 4 swigs.

BLASPHEMY!

NEVER dump a beer, jeez, it's always useful for something later on....

lol, got some of this from the store a while back, loved every single one of them, SS Nut Brown is also very good (though i prefer mine). And I hear their Taddy Porter is suppose to be very good also....

I like the Oatmeal Stout and the Double Chocolate as well. now they need to make a Chocolate Oatmeal...:)

Got one of these sitting on my shelf and am waiting to try it. The brew came in a sampler pack of their Pale Ale, Nut Brown and Oatmeal Stout, with a SS glass and coasters for 5.99. Overall, a good price.

I tried their Pale and thought it was horrible. No hops at all and it just tasted empty and lacked flavor. Their nut brown though was impressive. Nice malty character that was well balanced by the sweet malty nutty flavor, definitely impressed since I don't usually like brown ales. Now I have to try their stout. With the rave reviews in this thread, I'm looking forward to it!

orfy said:
I can still churckle when I see them drinking it in the summer time and it's served ice cold.

Yikes!

It's my favorite beer - I drink it all year around!

I'm still looking for an extract recipe (tried the recipes section search function, but no luck - unless I'm doing something wrong).

Love the Taddy Porter as well!

Yummy stuff :rockin:

Jonathan

Back