Vanilla/Hazelnut Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
I am about to make a vanilla/hazelnut coffee stout by adding cold-brewed espresso at the end of primary fermentation. I want 1/3 of the batch to have no extract added, 1/3 to have vanilla extract added, and 1/3 to have hazelnut extract added.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how much vanilla or hazelnut extract should be added to each 16 oz swing top bottle at bottling time? I'm thinking about using my daughter's medicine dropper to make things easier. However, I'll need to convert liquid ounces to ml.

i would bottle 2/3 and then add the extract to the remaining 1/3 and bottle directly. Add to taste but i would recommend getting actual extract. Most cooking stores will have madagascar bourbon beans/paste/liquid. ~30ml/1 fl oz

Scinerd, so you are saying not to add extract directly to the bottle with the priming sugar? If I follow your way, I won't be able to bottle 1/3 straight up Coffee Stout, 1/3 Vanilla Coffee Stout, and 1/3 Hazelnut Coffee Stout.

If I follow your route, I guess I could bottle 1/3 for plain a Coffee Stout, then add 1 to 2 ounces of vanilla extract to get a Vanilla Coffee Stout and bottle the next 1/3, and then add 1 ounce of hazelnut extract and bottle the final 1/3 to get a Vanilla Hazelnut Coffee Stout.

Or I could swap the extracts and go with 1/3 Coffee Stout, 1/3 Hazelnut Coffee Stout, and 1/3 Vanilla Hazelnut Coffee Stout.

In any event, I'm not using a secondary fermenter (still a novice). So if I add the extracts to the primary, should I be mixing the extracts in and wait for things to settle before bottling? Or just add and bottle (hoping the convection mixes it up well enough)?

By the way, I did purchase actual organic extracts.

Thanks for the help.

i would bottle 2/3 and then add the extract to the remaining 1/3 and bottle directly. Add to taste but i would recommend getting actual extract. Most cooking stores will have madagascar bourbon beans/paste/liquid. ~30ml/1 fl oz

Do you use a priming bucket? I think scinerd was saying to add the extract to your priming bucket. By doing so you wouldn't be able to do the 1/3 route unless you used 3 buckets.
Adding extract flavorings to the priming sugar solution in the bucket usually allows for a more even flavor to the beer.
But you could go your route by adding to each bottle but stay sanitary. Flavoring in beer is also so much up to personal taste that I would try several different amounts from the dropper. If it is too much it will still fade over time.

yea. I would let it sit in primary for around 30 days so it settles well, then transfer off the trub to a bucket which you can bottle from. Add the extracts to there... If you want them all seperated then its gonna get interesting

Back