cheap bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Any body on here know where to get cheap 12oz bottles in/near indianapolis? my LHBS sells them for 50 cents a pop, but i've seen on here that some folks in other states get them cheap from recycling centers, ect. Thanks.

Recycling centers, bars, etc... or just talk to a few buddies or put an ad on Craigslist asking for someone to save you bottles.

Too bad you are not in WA state, I have 60+ I'd give you in a heartbeat.

Recycling centers, bars, etc... or just talk to a few buddies or put an ad on Craigslist asking for someone to save you bottles.

I should get in tight with someone at a bar, thanks!

ROADTRIP!

Just head on over to the nearest pub that has a great beer selection. I tried this Saturday night, tried a couple really choice beers and walked out with a box full of bombers. When I told the bartender I was saving bottles for my own brews, he went out of his way to get me some nice bottles and even rinsed them out.

Next time I head back, I'm going to bring him a couple of my beers.

Im in gig Harbor. I could use a couple dozen :)

+1 on the recycling center bins. I check mine here in Lubbock and have had some success with beer bottles and great success with wine bottles!! :ban:

One suggestion: get a grabber/extender to reach into the bin. Don't have one but wish I did.

We have a 10 cent bottle deposit here in Michigan. I get them from my local beverage supply for the deposit price. It helps to buy something before you ask.

Tom

Im in gig Harbor. I could use a couple dozen :)

I'll hang onto them then. We can work out the details later. I'll be stuck to the house this weekend, but should have some time the following weekend. You can drop me a PM if you want and we can iron out some details.

Do you have a brewery nearby that uses returnable bottles?

If so, check out bars in the town it's brewed in. The brewery here uses returnable bottles so I just go to any of several bars in town and pay the $1.20 deposit per case on whatever empty bottles they have whenever I need them. As long as someone's giving them the deposit, why would they care who it is? There's always at least 2 cases available. I never have issues with availability. And if I ever end up with too many, I can just bring them back to the brewery and get my $1.20 back...

I hit up the recycle center to drop off some newspaper and cans, there was only cheap-o screw top bud and etc's. ;( Saw a couple 1 gal jugs in the green glass bin, but they were way at the back and I didn't care enough to try and get them.

Just gonna hit up the bar (with co-workers) next payday and see if I can't get them to save me some. I doubt they get very many though, they have ass for beer selection. I couldn't get a single beer I wanted, ended up drinking Heinekin and Busch Light (off tap, cheap) since that was about the best they offered. He laughed when I asked for a Guinness, said he couldn't sell the pack he used to have so he gave it as a wedding gift.

Bottle prices are driving me nuts though at 14$ a case of 24 12s or 12 22's. I've already spent about 60$ on bottles and need almost twice what I have (48 12's, 24 22's). You don't see many bombers around here either, so I may just have to keep buying them.

I would get to know a bartender at a nice bar. My brother-in-law works at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN. I have more bottles than I need, included flip-tops. I am actually selling all of my bottles now, so that I can buy some kegging equipment. Be careful of the 750 Ml bottles, they need a bigger cap.

if im in need i dumpster dive sunday morning at the bars that has major yuppy drinkers. usualy i can walk away with a couple dozen bottles. and dont worry about twist caps if you get a bench capper

I would get to know a bartender at a nice bar. My brother-in-law works at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN. I have more bottles than I need, included flip-tops. I am actually selling all of my bottles now, so that I can buy some kegging equipment. Be careful of the 750 Ml bottles, they need a bigger cap.

This depends on the bottle. Many American champagnes (and common American sparkling non-alcoholic ciders cheaply available at many grocery stores) use standard caps, but a lot of Belgians and European sparkling wines use the larger European caps.

Back