Sierra Nevada Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know where I can find a PM or extract version of SN's Wheat beer? I brought some home the other day, and it was a killer beer for a very hot summer day.

thanks

I really don't, but I'll bet it's pretty simple. I'd start with a SNPA clone recipe, cut the IBU's by about half (possibly more), cut down on the Crystal malt until you get the desired color, then use malted wheat or wheat extract for about 50% of your fermentables. Ferment with WLP001, WY1056, or US56.

Do you have any kind of recipe software?

Beer Snob snuck in there before I posted. Looks like I was close, but substitute Spalt hops for the Cascades in SNPA. :D Also, the wheat has more IBU's than I suspected, and SNPA has less.

SwAMi75 said:
Do you have any kind of recipe software?

Yea Ive been playing around with ProMash to see what i could come up with. And StrisselSpalt has a default AA% of 0.0...thats a first for me.

Anyways, I was thinking something along these lines. Input would be appreciated :rockin:

4lbs Wheat malt
4 lbs 2 row

3/4 oz Perle 60
1 oz StrisselSpalt Flameout

Thats a start, I may play around with the hops a bit to spread the bittering/flavor out over the 60 minute boil more.

How are you thinking of brewing it.... I figured out why mine came out low. I batched it but I forgot to take in consideration the low efficiency of batch sparging as Palmer explains. Just as you have it, ProMash estimates the SG at 45 points. Since the posted alcohol % is 4.4 that could be cutting it realy close. I'm not sure how to figure out alcohol % though so have no idea how close it is....

Perle hops is real nice... its also pretty different then Tettnanger AA wise. My notes put the perle I used at 9.01 AA. Thats double what you are thinking of using....

Ok I was editing as you were responding.

I think I would really like to go AG on this. Wheat doesn't require multi step mashing does it? My setup will be pretty much identical to yours, well the mash tun will be anyways. Hopefully Ill be able to get 75%. You think I should go with a bit more malt just in case?

As for the hops, I'd like to keep the bitterness down as much as possible. Mostly looking for flavor and aroma on this one

Yeah I definatly want to do another wheat AG (now that I'm a bit more calmer with AGs and won't botch it up as bad). But I seem to remember Kai saying that I should not have done infusion... that it needed a multi step. I also recall everyone saying I needed rice hulls with that much wheat (I did 5 lbs which is real close to your 4 lbs your thinking of using). Though I know the tubbing came loose so wheather or not I had a stuck sparge is anyone's guess really.

Here is the link to the thread with the different commends....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8276

Dude and I have done single infusion mashes for our wheats with no issues whatsoever. Those were American style, as is the Sierra Nevada.

The thread above is for German style hefe weizens. I don't know if there is a difference. I guess I'll know when I rack mine in a few days. :)

The only thing I was told on ag with wheat is if you were at a 50/50 ratio or better on the wheat to add rice hulls to keep from having a stuck sparge. I've done 1 where I had 2 lbs extra wheat and I added the rice no problem. Good Luck.:cross:

Back