Acid blend for canning fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I posted this on Wine Making Talk too for anyone on that forum. I wanted to post there because acid blend is used in wine making but that site doesn't seem to get the traffic like HBT. Without further ado, my scenario and question:

I canned six pints of tart cherries in juice today and will be canning many more over the next few days. My tree is in full ripening mode. This is my first year canning the cherries and as I read up on it, I have found that citric acid is used to help retain the color. I have a powdered acid blend that I sometime use in wine.

Could I use this; say 1/2 tsp per pint of tart cherries? Or maybe I should make an acid blend and water solution to place the cherries in while I pit them. If I went this route, how much of the blend should I use and with how much water?

Since I couldn't find an answer I decided to use 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice per pint. I would've liked to have found another use for the acid blend but such is life.

Back