Carbonation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRGSPE73

Reaction score
I just cracked open the first bottle of my first brew, a Nut Brown Ale. I bottled last Tuesday, 3/27, so it has been bottle conditioning for about 9 days. It's got a very nice malt profile and a good hop taste, but unfortunately it seems to be lacking the desired carbonation. I got a nice little ::pfft:: when I opened it, and there is definitely some degree of carbonation, but its definitely not as carbonated as it should be. I bottled by boiling 5 oz. of priming sugar in 1 c. of water and adding to my bottling bucket after racking from the secondary, then stirring thoroughly, including an additional stir after the first case. I pitched the wort with Wyeast #1098 Is this simply a situation where I need to let things bottle condition for a while longer (I'm guessing that's probably the case...I thought (hoped) 9 days would do it), or did I overlook something in the bottling process? I don't notice an overly sweet taste, so my concern is that the yeast has consumed all of the sugar and there's no more carbonation to be had. This is my first brew, and I'm pretty sure you guys will probably tell me to RDWHAHB, but I'm still a bit concerned nonetheless.

-Josh :mug:

JRGSPE73 said:
This is my first brew, and I'm pretty sure you guys will probably tell me to RDWHAHB, but I'm still a bit concerned nonetheless.
You got it! :) Give it at least two weeks. What's the temp where the bottles are sitting? You may need to move them to a warmer spot.

Brewsmith said:
What's the temp where the bottles are sitting? You may need to move them to a warmer spot.

They're sitting on the shelf next to me right now...thermometer on the empty carboy next to the boxes says 72*.

JRGSPE73 said:
They're sitting on the shelf next to me right now...thermometer on the empty carboy next to the boxes says 72*.
Just wait. Two weeks should be good. You'll find that the flavor will improve after about a month anyways, so don't try to drink it all too fast. ;)

Brewsmith said:
Just wait. Two weeks should be good. You'll find that the flavor will improve after about a month anyways, so don't try to drink it all too fast. ;)

I guess I'll relax, not worry, and have a Killians (for now). :mug:

so how long does it take to fully carbonate a bottled beer via priming sugar?

I know that it is best to let it condition for 3+ weeks, but is there a general point after bottling that you could/should check to see if you got the amount of priming sugar right in case you might need to take action? or does it totally depend on the type beer?

thanks
ws

Back