Next equipment purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
So, I've been doing all-grain for a while but want to upgrade and add a few things to my brewing arsenal. I'd like the ability to do 10 gallon batches in the future, but also am getting tired of bottling. I've got a budget of about $200 this go-round. I want to get your input on what would be the best items to purchase next, and in what order.

Here's my current setup:
Burner: Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer
Kettle: 7.5 gallon aluminum that came with burner
MLT: Rubbermaid 10g round cooler with copper manifold
Chiller: 25' copper immersion chiller
Bottling/Kegging: Currently bottling with a mix of 12 and 24 oz bottles
Fermenting: Upright freezer with Johnson Analong temp controller, holds 4 carboys.

Here's my wish list in no particular order
1. Bigger kettle, either 15 gallon aluminum or 15.5 "keggle" with ball valve and bozooka screen
2. sump/fountain pump for recirculating ice chiller (I have WARM tapwater:mad:)
3. Kegging setup: 2x 5gallon cornies, CO2 tank, regulator, beer and gas lines, picnic tap(for now).
4. Barley Crusher (LHBS is good for me, so not a big want)
5. Other?

I would get the kegging gear and then the sump pump. Kegging saved me a lot of time in the brewing process.

Ya I would do the kettle and then the kegging stuff.

Check craigslist often, I got a full size kegerator for 75 bucks. All it needed was a new faucet and to be filled with coolant.

I have a spare mini fridge that will fit 2 cornies perfectly, so I think I'm leaning towards the keg setup.

There are some good posts in the diy section for alternative's to the SS towers for you kegerator. Do a little research and you should have the budget to do the kegs and a 15 gallon kettle. Probably the pump too, you don't need a big one. just a small pond pump would work.

Don't waste your money on a beergun. Search "BMBF" for a $10 diy version. I'd work on your kegging setup. You can have the LHBS mill your grains.....but you can't have them keg your beer;) You can get the barley crusher later.

Don't waste your money on a beergun. Search "BMBF" for a $10 diy version. I'd work on your kegging setup. You can have the LHBS mill your grains.....but you can't have them keg your beer;) You can get the barley crusher later.

I think I'll be pursuing a keg setup. My LHBS has cornies for $30 each or 2 for $54 which is a better deal than I can find on the web. They are also selling a couple reconditioned 10# bottles for $75 (not filled). They carry regulators and tap stuff too, so I'm going to get a quote on all the materials necessary. Hopefully it will come out to under $150 and I'll still be able to get a keggle! :rockin:

I think I'll be pursuing a keg setup. My LHBS has cornies for $30 each or 2 for $54 which is a better deal than I can find on the web. They are also selling a couple reconditioned 10# bottles for $75 (not filled). They carry regulators and tap stuff too, so I'm going to get a quote on all the materials necessary. Hopefully it will come out to under $150 and I'll still be able to get a keggle! :rockin:

+1 76543210

OK, just got this email from the LHBS. Does the price list below seem reasonable?

> 5 gallon Cornelius Keg (ball lock) $30 or two for $54
> 5-10 pound CO2 bottle Reconditioned 5# $55.00
> CO2 Regulator single gauge $55, double gauge $62
> Beer Line .60/ft.
> Air Line .60/ft
> Picnic Tap $4.95
> Hook-ups for lines from keg; set/ $14.00

So, for one keg it would total: $158.95 + beer/air line
And for 2 kegs it would be: $189.95 + beer/air line

that's a good price. BTW, a pond fountain pump is DIRT cheap. Drop it in any vessel of ice water and pump that through your chiller.

PURCHASED:

2x 5 gallon cornies
Dual regulator with shutoff valve
Reconditioned 10 lb. CO2 tank
4x Ball lock quick disconnects
2x 3/16" Beer line
3x 3/16" Air Line (1 from tank, 2 from splitter->kegs)
1/4" Hose clamps
New O-rings

Put everything together tonight, cleaned everything first then tested the system with water. Then racked into the 2 kegs: 1 Blonde Ale, 1 Stout. Currently have them chilling in my mini fridge which is just barely big enough to fit all that crap in it. I've got the pressure set to 30psi, and will draw off a pint tomorrow to see how the carbonation is.

At 30 psi, it will only take a couple days. Just make sure you back the pressure back down when it's carbed up to where you want it. How long are your beer lines?

edit-

Just checked your other post, nevermind... your length is fine for your planned serving pressure.

Latest posts

Back