Next project/freezer top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
tomsbar4bq.png

This is my next project. It is a tap box and counter to be mounted on my freezer. It will hold my two beer engines, four regular and one stout tap. The face is slate from an old blackboard, the rest oak.

The back will be hinged for access. There will be a chilling loop running with the beer lines. The end of the counter will extend about 12" over the edge of the freezer top.

Suggestions before I start cutting?

Brewpastor said:

um... no, dude... I think I'll just stand back and watch. you seem to have things pretty much under control. :)

-walker

I'm kind of disappointed in the design drawing. I expected better from you.

J/K....you got it goin' man! Looks awesome! Wish I lived near you!

BTW, what did you use to draw that?

I would trim it with moulding where the front/sides meet the top and bottom, but other than that I'm still just trying to figure out where you fit in the spectrum of home/profressional brewers!

:mug:

Dude said:
I'm kind of disappointed in the design drawing. I expected better from you.

J/K....you got it goin' man! Looks awesome! Wish I lived near you!

BTW, what did you use to draw that?

All I have is the drawing stuff the MS Word. Kind of cool what you can do with circles and squares!

The truth be known I am just a brew geek with a serious gadget addiction, who has been feeding his habit for way too long. If I had a clue, or a life, I would be getting my beer at the store like the sane folks do.

Then again, look at the swill they drink. I think i'll take insanity.

It is an easy program. I simply make one object, group its parts, copy and paste. It actually doesn't take too long either. This drawing took maybe 15 minutes, but I do know it pretty well.

Whoa! Thats gonne be amazing.

Brewpastor said:

yep. make two, then send me one so i can make sure you did it right.

Whitay said:
Whoa! Thats gonne be amazing.

yep. make two, then send me one so i can make sure you did it right.

uh, no make that three. it needs a good USAF safety inspection too. dont want anyone to lose an eye.

Well, this has been on the drawing board for months, but Friday I will bring it to life! I will do a photo shoot with it and post the project. Wish me luck!

If it turns out like i'm imagining it - you could turn that photoshoot into a calendar with a centerfold.

Who needs two beer engines? Who are you? wow. and a stout tap...

Brewpastor said:
Well, this has been on the drawing board for months, but Friday I will bring it to life! I will do a photo shoot with it and post the project. Wish me luck!

Yes, PLEASE take lots of pictures. I want to build something similar when I get my basement done and having a guide by the good pastor would be extremely helpful.

BTW - looks sweet!!

Are you elevating the whole freezer? I would think the whole setup would be uncomforably low to the ground. but i guess im 6 ft tall so maybe it is not a problem?

Now that i look again at the drawing i see you are, but i cant tell how high.

OK, so it is on its way. I am waiting on the tap shanks, but have lots of it built. Here are some pictures:

This is front view with the engines set -
DraftBoxfront.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the beer engines from the front -
BeerEngineFront.jpg

And another with the engine engaged -

BeerEngineengaged.jpg

Here is a rear view of with a beer engine -

BeerEngineRearDetail.jpg

It will be another week until I get back to this, but it is at least off the drawing board! I have to build the drip tray set-up, attach my inline regulators, insulate the works, but on a rear hatch for access and oil and seal the whole works, plus attach it to the chest freezer and build the bar to cover for the chest freezer. I have a few weekends of busy work in store.

And the faucets waiting for the shanks, including an older style stout faucet with a flow adjustment (I love Ebay and I love these stout faucets - beat the crap out of the newer models) -

Taps.jpg

I hate to ask such a basic question. A beer engine is basically a pump right? Why would you want to use that instead of co2 to push it?

"If you have to ask..." :p Sorry I could not resist.

Actually, if you have never had cask conditioned ale off a hand pump, you really should do youself a favor and give it a try. It is simply a different product this way. Softer, rounder, fuller. I can see how many would call it a beer snob thing, but I love the stuff. You should google CAMRA and do a little reading. Also Terry Foster has a good bit on it in his Pale Ale book.

Brewpastor said:
"If you have to ask..." :p Sorry I could not resist.

Actually, if you have never had cask conditioned ale off a hand pump, you really should do youself a favor and give it a try. It is simply a different product this way. Softer, rounder, fuller. I can see how many would call it a beer snob thing, but I love the stuff. You should google CAMRA and do a little reading. Also Terry Foster has a good bit on it in his Pale Ale book.

I can't say that I have ever tried it, or even really heard of it before. Would this make it more like a bottle conditioned beer or is it totaly unique?

Did you score them on ebay or build them?

The engines are ebay. I looked for months because they aren't too common outside of Great Britain. The beer is what many call "flat and warm" which isn't exactly true. It is at cellar temperature so it is warmer and thus has a fuller flavor. Also the carbonation is lighter so it has a bit of CO2 bite, but not too much. It is an example of old tools born out of neccesity becoming desirable when they are no longer needed. They were used to literally pump the beer out of casks in the cellar of a pub before the use of CO2 systems. But the resulting product was really great and cask ale is in a class by itself.

I assume someplace in PA has cask conditioned ales and if you have a chance check some out.

Back