Identifying Marks on Bottles for Competition - Deschutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmbeal

Reaction score
I have a lot of empty Deschutes bottles that have some hops imprinted in the glass around the neck. Does anyone know if these would be considered "unidentifiable" marks and OK for submitting into BJCP competitions? There is no name on the markings and the labels will obviously be removed.

Thanks.

Email the competition coordinator and ask him/her. I don't think it should be problem, but some people can be funny.

I took a chance in a recent competition using the Deschutes bottles and got away with it. Like mentioned above though, it's probably a good idea to contact them to be sure.

You should contact the competition organizer, but be aware that some judges are sticklers for a "clean" bottle. Personally, I don't care - breweries mass produce so I can't know for sure who's bottle it is - but some judges do.

Thanks for the replies. Asking is clearly the best way to know what will be allowed. But I'm bottling stuff in general for competitions in the future, not a specific one. So unfortunately I can't just ask. But I'm generally entering smaller, local competitions where hopefully folks are not over analyzing things.

I've always thought to myself that I could recognize the shorter/larger diameter bottles used for Sierra Nevada, despite them being completely free of any markings. I suppose it's all about how much the judge wants read into the bottle itself.

Every competition I have entered said they will accept bottles with raised lettering or designs. I have also seen this in the rules for competitions I ended up not entering. Not making any guarantees, but it seems to be pretty standard.

I have entered Sam Adams bottles with raised lettering in several competitions without a problem. I think the rule is just to discourage unique markings that could identify a particular brewer chances are common commercial bottles won't be unique in a competition.

Back