Clearing a beer with Oregon Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
So I attempted my first semi real fruit brew with a large can of the Oregon Rasberry Puree. I used this can in the secondary of my Cream Ale. The cream ale was a little clowdy after being in primary for about 13 days. I figured that it would settle throught the secondary after adding the rasberry. Well after being in the secondary for about 2 weeks with the rasberry and then kegging, this beer is real merky. You can definately see very tiny elements from the puree floating around in and within the head of the beer. This beer came out excellent with the exeption of how unbelievable cloudy it is. Anyone have any issues with cloudy beers useng this puree? Any way to clear the beer after secondary or kegging? The only thing that I could find in my brew notes is that I forgot to add irish moss on this brew. Never before have I had a beer like this.:cross:

I have only used the raspberry in a cider, but any fruit puree will mean a cloudy brew, unless you filter or use finings. I have a special keg with a filter mesh on the tube for fruit ciders. I added the filter after a bit of puree got caught in the poppet valve and I got a face full.

How thick was the puree? was it mostly liquid with some pulp in it?

I will be adding some to my carboy tonight. In hind site would you have tried to rack it to the keg using some sort of filter?

Is it possible the has is a pectin haze? From reading about wine making it is quite common to add pectin enzyme to help break down those proteins. Maybe a tsp of pectin enzyme would help.

Craig

cpbergie said:
How thick was the puree? was it mostly liquid with some pulp in it?

I will be adding some to my carboy tonight. In hind site would you have tried to rack it to the keg using some sort of filter?

The puree was not really that thick at all. i was pretty surprised how watery it was. I do think that filtering it is probably the way to go. I mean, this stuff is looks dark. You cannot see any light through the pint.

Back