Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our cat tries to lick the floor where any beer (or wort) is spilled. I don't like to see beer go to waste either!

My dogs run cleanup on brew days too...except when I was bottling a mocha porter last weekend. The one licked up a couple drops, then made a bee-line for his water bowl and took a big drink.

I thought it tasted good... :(

I hate cats. I am glad her cats are scared of it. All the do otherwise is either lay on my clean clothes while it dries, or sit in a corner licking an empty, clean plastic bag. Devil spawn. All of them.

I hate cats. I am glad her cats are scared of it. All the do otherwise is either lay on my clean clothes while it dries, or sit in a corner licking an empty, clean plastic bag. Devil spawn. All of them.

I agree, They are like little devil ninjas laying on the back of chairs plotting to kill you while you sleep

But mine kept the mice out of my brewing stuff. One cat we had used to kill & eat snakes & large spiders in & around the house when we had babies around. One time, my wife had our daughter in her stroller while working on flower beds outside. A young black snake crawled up the leg of the stroller. Tigger literally tore it a new one!

I was making some apfelwein with my kids and my 7 yr old son asked if he could have a sip of beer.
Me- "Yeah, when you're 21." ;)
5 yr old daughter asks shockingly "21 beers?" :eek:

Had a buddy of mine say his boss swears that porters help relieve muscle soreness overnight by ridding the body of the lactic acid. I thought this was a stretch... anyone know if this has any science to back it up?

Had a buddy of mine say his boss swears that porters help relieve muscle soreness overnight by ridding the body of the lactic acid. I thought this was a stretch... anyone know if this has any science to back it up?

If you drink enough of them you will feel no pain at all! This works with all beers, not just porters! :drunk: I have done this experiment many times with the same result. However, when the medicating effect of the beer wears off, the aches tend to reappear ten fold and also spread to the head , and are accompanied by an upset stomach. :( In turn, creating the need for continued medication. It seems to be a vicious cycle. ;)

Hops (Humulus lupus) – Hops work as a central nervous system relaxant. This makes them a very helpful form of herbal stress relief if you suffer from insomnia and the stress states caused by not getting enough sleep. You can buy hop pillows which work very well because hops work on the smell centre in the brain which directly affects the limbic system which is the most primitive part of our brain and affects all our basic needs including sleep and relaxation. Hops help to relieve tension and anxiety and are helpful in reducing restlessness. Hops have a strong muscle relaxing effect so if being stressed gives you headaches, indigestion, stomach pains, palpitations or a nervous cough, then taking hops, especially in the form of a tincture, could prove very helpful for you.

Herbal Stress Relief

If you drink enough of them you will feel no pain at all! This works with all beers, not just porters! :drunk: I have done this experiment many times with the same result. However, when the medicating effect of the beer wears off, the aches tend to reappear ten fold and also spread to the head , and are accompanied by an upset stomach. :( In turn, creating the need for continued medication. It seems to be a vicious cycle. ;)

Finally! Something funny about beer in this thread!

:mug:

I've done multiple personal studies on this subject, and usually try to not limit myself just to porters - all for science. I've found that my body will purge itself immediately if I drink too much. If I am not overserved, the beer usually finds its way through my system and purges about 3 hours after I wake up.

I never feel great after either of these purging methods.

If I could brew Busch Light and make it worth my time/money... I definitely would. However, I've learned that Busch Light must be consumed from a can in order to get that maximum aluminum aftertaste that I crave.

And I'm not even joking right now.

The trick, or so I'm told, is to "dry can" the beer to replicate the taste. I've tried putting old beer cans in the boil, say last 15 minutes or so, but most of the aluminium taste goes out the airlock with the CO2 during primary fermentation.

My buddy used to rack his Busch clone over 12 empty aluminum cans in the secondary, but because the cans would not fit through the carboy bung (and even if they did, it would be a mother to get out), he used a 5 gal bucket or so as his secondary. Always left too much can trub and he lost good beer in the folds of the cans.

Since I don't have that equipment, I've been infusing a can tea using 2 1/2 empty beer cans (crushed, of course) in a mason jar with cheap vodka and add about a cup in the bottling bucket. I purposefully try to oxidize it just a bit to match the style. Good times.

Last edited:
The trick, or so I'm told, is to "dry can" the beer to replicate the taste. I've tried putting old beer cans in the boil, say last 15 minutes or so, but most of the beer taste goes out the airlock with the CO2 during primary fermentation.

My buddy used to rack his Busch clone over 12 empty aluminum cans in the secondary, but because the cans would not fit through the carboy bung (and even if they did, it would be a mother to get out), he used a 5 gal bucket or so as his secondary. Always left too much can trub and he lost good beer in the folds of the cans.

Since I don't have that equipment, I've been infusing a can tea using 2 1/2 empty beer cans (crushed, of course) in a mason jar with cheap vodka and add about a cup in the bottling bucket. I purposefully try to oxidize it just a bit to match the style. Good times.

Simpler to chew aluminum foil while drinking HB...or wear appropriate headgear http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Any beer will do this. The problem is that it often moves the lactic acid to the head. Science is still working on that one.

no, just unfortunate. it would be even worse of you don't drink Trappist Styles of beer.

Shome would shay that'sh Entrapment.

images

not sure I even want to know and I'm afraid to google it
as per Wikipedia.

Castoreum /kæsˈtɔriəm/ is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac which is, in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both beaver genders possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4] Castor sacs are a type of scent gland.

Today, it is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and as a food additive.

SWMBO asked for a beer and said she wants the lighter one. I asked what she meant by it as my mixed fruit blonde is 7.5% and lighter bodied and my cherry wheat is 5%? and more full bodied.
Her response was "add water to the mixed fruit blonde". :eek:

SWMBO asked for a beer and said she wants the lighter one. I asked what she meant by it as my mixed fruit blonde is 7.5% and lighter bodied and my cherry wheat is 5%? and more full bodied.
Her response was "add water to the mixed fruit blonde". :eek:

I hope you put her in time out! my MIL drinks BL and CL on ice. otherwise it tastes too strong or "dark".

I thought that was the raspberry flavoring? Never mind. I see this was already covered. This thread is going through déjà vu.
I believe it was the anal gland for the raspberry. which is now the reason I had to give up on of my favorite hard candies.

Back