Belgium Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkhard

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Friday night I brewed a triple, the next day fermentation started and was really active. Today I came home and the kursean (sp) was gone and there is no activity in the air lock.

Is this signs of a problem? The stick on thermometer said 73, so it got warmer than expected today.

Thanks for your help.

Belgian yeasts take off and go nuts within the first few days, then slow considerably. To get down to 1.026 in a few days is common...it'll probably take twice that long before the yeast finish. Give it another week or two, and keep it at that temp if possible.

It's definitely not done at 1.026...I'd hope for another 15 points.

Some more info would be helpful.

What was the recipe? What yeast did you use? Fermentation Temp?

It has only been a few days, so let the yeast do it's job. Belgian yeasts can work hard at first and thwn just slowly chug away for a long time.

Some more info would be helpful.

What was the recipe? What yeast did you use? Fermentation Temp?

It has only been a few days, so let the yeast do it's job. Belgian yeasts can work hard at first and thwn just slowly chug away for a long time.

It was the Brewers Best Tripel Kit, I do not know the yeast type, as I have discarded the packaging and their website does not specify the name of the yeast.

The fermentation temp started at 65 Saturday, today the temp outside rose so the carboy is now reading 73/75ish.

I only got concerned because I was under the impression that the fermentation was going to become even more violent, and I should plan for blow off. When I came home today and the krausen had gone down and there was no activity, so it was the opposite of what I was expecting. But I am glad to hear the yeast can slow down and work.

Thanks so much.

OK, I just looked up the recipe and it does not specify the yeast. I does list the FG as 1.017-1.020, which I think is high for a Tripel, but looking at the ingredients that probably is pretty close.

The OG is pretty high so I would recommend leaving it in the fermenter for a few more weeks to finish up. The directions of those kits like to rush things. Bigger brews do much better with some additional time in the fermenter.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby/addiction. Spend a bunch of time reading up on brewing. There are a lot of very helpful people on this forum. There is a ton to learn.........but the hardest part of brewing is learning the art of patience.

Get another fermenter and brew another batch to get a good pipeline going. It makes the waiting sooooooo much easier.

OK, I just looked up the recipe and it does not specify the yeast. I does list the FG as 1.017-1.020, which I think is high for a Tripel, but looking at the ingredients that probably is pretty close.

The OG is pretty high so I would recommend leaving it in the fermenter for a few more weeks to finish up. The directions of those kits like to rush things. Bigger brews do much better with some additional time in the fermenter.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby/addiction. Spend a bunch of time reading up on brewing. There are a lot of very helpful people on this forum. There is a ton to learn.........but the hardest part of brewing is learning the art of patience.

Get another fermenter and brew another batch to get a good pipeline going. It makes the waiting sooooooo much easier.

Thanks! I actually have the first batch I ever made bottle conditioning at the moment. I do have a six gallon and a five gallon carboy, my plan is to eventually get a pipeline going.

Back