LHBS mix up makes the best beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musky01

Reaction score
I put together a recipe for a dry refreshing amber, sent the lhbs an email with my recipe to have everything pre measured and milled since I would be pressed to get there and get this put together after work. While I was brewing I noticed the color was way too dark, looks like a brown porter.

After 3 weeks in bottles I cracked the first one today and it is by far the best beer I have ever made, just a simple grain bill. American 2 row, crystal 20, 8 oz. chocolate malt, and a few ounces of flaked wheat. used a mix of cascade and williamette using s04.

Anyone have this happen? I'm now on a mission to find out what happened so I can save the recipe to make again in the future, in beersmith upping the choc to a pound still doesn't represent how dark it turned out.

Guess this is one more reason to buy grains and weigh and mill them at home.

German Carafa is quite a bit darker than chocolate and looks similar. Just a thought.

everything else is pretty identifiable if its not labled.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that one.

I had the lhbs put everything together so it was in a big bag milled when I got there to pick it up.

Back