Blanche de Chambly (all grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 400
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days
5 Lbs. Belgian Pilsner
4 1/2 White Wheat.

1/2LBS. Clear Candi Sugar.

1 oz. Hersbrucker---60 min.

1/4 oz. Bitter orange peel---- 15 min
1/4oz. Coriander----15 min.

mashed in at 152 with a little under 3 gallons for 60 min.

Sparged with 5 gallons at 170.

this was my first all grain beer, and it was very, very good.

Here is how to make your own candi sugar, I used it this last time and had good results, no since in wasting money.

First off, you're going to need some sugar. Nothing fancy, just plain sugar. Second ingredient is some citric acid. If you have citric acid, great - if not, some lemon juice will be perfect too.
We're going to make a syrup out of your two ingredients so, you guessed it, we're gonna need to cook this up. Now, don't get excited and start digging out your brewpot and burner ... some Medium heat and a smooth-bottomed pan of some sort on the stove should do just fine. Put about 1 cup of sugar and 1 TSP of lemon juice (or pinch of citric acid) together over medium heat and stir (and keep stirring). The sugar will eventually start to melt. This is the part where you need to pay attention and know what style of syrup you're after. I was after a very light one, so I just barely let the sugar turn the palest of yellowish-brown. If you're making a darker beer, let it go a bit more but DO NOT let it burn or, worse, catch fire. Please!
When the sugar is at the right doneness, scrape it from the pan onto an aluminum foil covered surface. Take care as this is HOT and sticky. Not a good combination for exposed skin. Let this cool and harden up. Eat some if you want, it's not great.
Once the sugar is cool, you will need to re-add this to a pan over medium heat and add some water to achieve a consistency somewhere between maple syrup and honey. Let this come to a boil if you want and, voila! - candi sugar syrup the way the Belgian brewers do it.

Just tried your version of the Candi Syrup recipe - Let me just say it is by far the most simple and successful recipe I've tried so far. I did add about 3 - 4X the acid - it seemed to speed up the process and kept the sugar consistently fluffy then melty. I think not adding water until after it cools and hardens is what gives you the great control over the color and the viscosity. I liked the syrup that came from this better than any I've made with corn syrup or pure beet sugar sans acid (lemon juice).:mug: CHEERS and thanks!

Can I use torrified wheat instead of the white wheat? I have heard that Torrified wheat should only be used an adjunct. The reason I want the substitution is that I want it as light as possible and also did not want to do a protein rest for the white wheat, or am I over thinking this?

Just wondering if this was for a 5 gallon batch? Thanks, sounds awesome!

Back