Cold-crashing bottles instead of pasteurizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with bottling still fermenting cider, allowing it to carbonate and then simply cold crashing it rather than pasteurizing. Is there any way to do this so that the yeast will truly not become active again? What temperature would be required?

Cold crashing doesn't kill yeast, pasteurizing does. Yeast goes dormant when cold, contrary to the misconsception a lot of folks have. SO if the cold crash cider get's warmer than the yeast's dormancy temp it would start fermenting the availble sugars again and more than likely *BOOM*

Cold crashing doesn't kill yeast, pasteurizing does. Yeast goes dormant when cold, contrary to the misconsception a lot of folks have. SO if the cold crash cider get's warmer than the yeast's dormancy temp it would start fermenting the availble sugars again and more than likely *BOOM*

Ok, that's pretty much what I was thinking. It would work in essence assuming that the cider never again reaches a temperature that would send the yeast back to work.

I added concentrate apple juice to the dry cider in the bottling bucket , bottled a couple in plastic bottles,
then cold crashed it all when the bottles were hard. No problem.

Back