Bottle sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Hi All!

My topic for discussion has to do with bottling and cleaning bottles. I have had great success keeping the bottles clean by using one step. Seems to work well. I have tried a few different options for steralizing the bottles. A friend recommend to me the dish washer without soap and using the drying setting. I tried that and I currently am waiting for the first sample of pumpkin ale.

In priming the beer for bottling, will the actual temprature of the bottle itself effect the final priming action of the beer. I was just thinking that when I bottled, the bottles were still quite warm. Not hot, but deffinately not room temprature.

I wonder what effect this will have on the beer if any at all.

Any thoughts at all?

Joe:mug:

I have a large collection of bottles now but I didn't rinse some of them out, so there is beer crud on the bottom of the bottle. Does using the dishwasher actually get the water up into the bottle and clean the bottom of it?

No, you need a bottle brush and some elbow grease. Well, you could probably soak them in something, but a dishwasher won't get all the way into the bottle.

ok... thanks... guess I will soak them in something overnight then run them through the dishwasher :)

Cregar said:
I have a large collection of bottles now but I didn't rinse some of them out, so there is beer crud on the bottom of the bottle. Does using the dishwasher actually get the water up into the bottle and clean the bottom of it?
Cut the end off of a bottle brush and put it in your drill...fill the bottle with water and let it soak for a while first then power up!:D

This is a good application for old-fashioned bleach water. Good cleaner (though you still need the brush). Rinse good, then run through the dishwasher w/o soap; the heat will eliminate any bleach residue.

homebrewer_99 said:
Cut the end off of a bottle brush and put it in your drill...fill the bottle with water and let it soak for a while first then power up!:D

:D A power cleaner!!

Well, It is good to know that warm bottles are ok.

The best thing that I have found for bottle cleaning is that easy-clean or one-step. Man that stuff just eats the crud out of the bottom of a bottle. It is also excellent for removing unwanted labels. That stuff is like cleanser on steroids.

Power uo the bottle brush!!!!!:D

I always try to rinse out my bottle right after I drink them. The ones I get back from people are usually a different story. I just fill up my bottling bucket with hot tapo water and star san. I soak the bottles in the star san. I pull one out use my jet bottle washer on super high and hot. I blast the crap out of it hit it with the bottle brush jet wash it again then in the styar san to soak. I only use the dishwasher right after a load is emptied and only for draining the star san.

So far so good.

Tony

I rinse right after drinking in hot water. Let them dry and store them upside down in a closet. When time to bottle, take them out and fill a bucket up to 3 gallons of warm water and one step. Give them a good soaking and then let dry in a clean empty dishwasher. So far, so good.

Ol' Grog said:
I rinse right after drinking in hot water. Let them dry and store them upside down in a closet. When time to bottle, take them out and fill a bucket up to 3 gallons of warm water and one step. Give them a good soaking and then let dry in a clean empty dishwasher. So far, so good.
I can't emphasize enough how well Ol' Grog's technique works. I've never had to scrub a bottle because I do exactly as Grog does. However, I might have to let one get all crusty just to try out the power brush!

EDIT: I actually run 'em through the dishwasher after rinsing them, so I guess I don't do exactly the same thing...

Back