Best Place to Buy Bulk Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane7676

Reaction score
Hello,

I have started to get enough into all grain brewing that I think it would make financial sense to start to buy my base malt in bulk.

I haven't been quoted a price at my LHBS, but I was wondering if there is any inside information about the best and cheapest place to purchase bulk grain.

Thanks for all the help!
-Shane.

it is country malt group formally northern country malt.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/

I have a trucker friend that does a route about every other month up by champlain ny.
I just received 4 sacks (55#). T fawcett & sons- maris otter pale malt, Best Malz- pils, lite munich, and a wheat for 146.00 no delivery charge luckly!

local homebrew supply wants $80. for domestic 2 row base malt. I will give them business on the specialty malts and yeasts

I bought bulk hops here

http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/leafhops.html

$80 for a bag of 2-row is way too much. Especially since they buy thier grain from Country Malt at the same price you paid but they had to pay shipping. But still $80 is too much.

Forrest

$80 for a bag of 2-row is way too much. Especially since they buy thier grain from Country Malt at the same price you paid but they had to pay shipping. But still $80 is too much.

Forrest

I'll say.. I used to give them some of my bulk business when their prices were half way in line just to support the LHBS. but when the diesel fuel surcharge jumped up, their prices went up and never came down.

I also have a connection at a local micro brewery that will work out a deal on base malt for around $45. if I get tight, But that is something I try not to take advantage of unless I'm strapped.

Forrest

Especially since they're paying pallet shipping. I can get sacks of malt from NCM delivered fedex for total cost of 50 to 60...

I have the same problem at my lhbs. Sacks of malt run from about 70-90. Plus state sales tax. I'm happy to pay a small premium on items to support my lhbs (and I do, for many things) but a 35 to 40 dollar upcharge on base malt just hurts too much.

The prices on country malt's website leave much to be desired. I can get lower prices at any LHBS around here. Is there a price break for buying 50# bags that I'm not aware of?

Actually, it isn't. On the website itself, they only list the price per pound.

But, I inferred from your statement that there must be some other price list, which I found when I downloaded the catalog. Thanks!

I was just about to link it for you

Yeah, those are the prices you want to look at.
Get some fellow brewers together and if you have access to a dock door you can have a pallet delivered with pretty cheap shipping when factored in by the sack.

FWIW - if you're in greater Chicagoland or drive through, you can pick up bulk malts at Mid-Country Malts warehouse in the south burbs (just north of I-80 near Halsted). You need to order by phone and tell them when you'll be by to pick up. Great selection, easy, and with no shipping you can't beat the prices.

When you get to the point online where you see the lists of malt from a specific maltery you have to click on the malt for the detailed page that lets you buy by the pound, crushed & uncrushed, and then by the sack, crushed & uncrushed.

When you get to the point online where you see the lists of malt from a specific maltery you have to click on the malt for the detailed page that lets you buy by the pound, crushed & uncrushed, and then by the sack, crushed & uncrushed.

You have to download the 2009 catalog to get the bulk prices. then you must call them to place the order.

if you click the shop online in the homebrewer section it sells by the pound or takes you to a different site in maryland that sells online like so many other supply shops. those prices are really high. I think they sell a sack for $60. plus ups ground shipping so that runs you about $80. also.

FWIW - if you're in greater Chicagoland or drive through, you can pick up bulk malts at Mid-Country Malts warehouse in the south burbs (just north of I-80 near Halsted). You need to order by phone and tell them when you'll be by to pick up. Great selection, easy, and with no shipping you can't beat the prices.

I just made a road trip up there today! I highly recommend them. Super friendly people and great pricing. I picked up three sacks of malt for a little over $100.

midcountrymalt.jpg

I can't figure out how to see the shipping costs without actually ordering the malt. Bad website.

They use UPS Ground
You just go to ups ground site and punch in their zip code, your zip code, the pounds (55) and the size you can type 16" wide 28" high and 6" deep.

Someone said it was cheaper to pay shipping on each sack then to ship over 80#s but I'm not sure? I never had anything shipped from them.

If you are on the east coast middle america or west coast use the zip code closest to you from the country malt group site
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/

Necro-post

Just called them, and was informed they are not taking on any Homebrew customers at this time.

guess the recession isn't affecting their business...

TD

From their website:

homebrewers
March 20, 2013
Re: Home Brew Club Sales Policy

In 2011 Brewcraft USA joined the Country Malt Group, expanding our product portfolio and ability to supply both commercial breweries and local home brew stores (LHBS) with a wide variety of products and services.

The Country Malt Group (CMG) will continue to sell direct to any active home brew customer and/or club who has made a purchase from the CMG on or after March 1, 2012 at current published noncommercial accounts Home Brewer pricing.

Brewcraft USA (BC) will facilitate orders through a LHBS club at pricing considerably discounted from CMG's current published non‐commercial accounts Home Brewer pricing.

• Only 50/55 pound bags may be ordered with a minimum order quantity of 20 bags

• All orders will be placed by and paid to your LHBS

• All orders must be picked up at your LHBS

• No other products than full 50/55 pound bags of malt can be ordered for this program. All other products should be purchased directly from your LHBS.

For more information on this program please contact Mr. Ian McHarg, Eastern Territory Sales Manager for Brewcraft USA at [email protected].

Thank you for supporting your local home brew store, the Country Malt Group and Brewcraft USA.

Sincerely,

Bryan Bechard, Managing Director
The Country Malt Group
[email protected]

Bring on the nercoposter!

But really guys, where can we get a good deal on grains today? I live in Houston, so I cannot really travel to any of the malters who are not going to sell to me anyway since I am not a previous customer of theirs. Would anyone one with hook up like to let me know where to send my money? I just need a sack so I can break in this new mill proper like. Thanks in advance folks. :fro:

i'm looking too. so far the cheapest i found 2-row for is $52 (including shipping) from morebeer. shipping rates may vary...

Latest posts

Back