Chocolate Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Been thinking about this recipe for a while. I did something really similar to this last year and it was great, I liked it a lot. But, that was an extract brew and now I'm doing all grain. Here's what I'm thinking about.

13 lbs Pale Malt
1 lb Aromatic
8 oz Special B
8 oz Chocolate malt

.5 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz Hallertau @ 10
1 oz Hallertau @ 5

WLP 550

Should be around 30 IBU and 1.069, hopefully to finish around 1.017 for just under 7% ABV.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like a good Dubbel, 8 oz Chocolate malt won't really add much of a chocolate flavor though. Just a nice, smooth roasty-ness.

Maybe I will bring it up to 12 oz, and just see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

If this is a dubbel where is the SUGAR!? Lose 2-3 lbs of the pils and add 1-2lbs of some kind of sugar... if its a chocolate a dark sugar would be preferable.

If this is a dubbel where is the SUGAR!? Lose 2-3 lbs of the pils and add 1-2lbs of some kind of sugar... if its a chocolate a dark sugar would be preferable.

Hmm, good point. I didn't want it to dry out too much though. Maybe I will add 1/2 lb of brown sugar.

Back