Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer ShiftlessBum's Nutty SkidMarc - Hazelnut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyScout

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
22.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
A slight chocolate followed by a light sweetness and hazelnut
7lbs. Pale Liquid Malt
12ozs. Chocolate Malt
8ozs. Brown Malt
8ozs. Dememera Sugar
4ozs. Flaked Wheat
1oz. Nugget Hops (leaf) - 45 mins
1oz. Mt. Hood (leaf) - 20 mins
American Ale Yeast - Wyeast #1056
1tbsp Hazelnut Extract added to Secondary

Mash in the Chocolate Malt, Brown Malt and Flaked Wheat, hold at 150oF for 75mins
Add 7lbs Pale Liquid Extract and 8ozs. of Dememera Sugar, bring to boil.
Add Nugget hops, wait 25 minutes. Add Mt. Hood hops, boil another 20 minutes.
Add yeast.
Wait one week and transfer from primary to secondary. Add 1tbsp. of pure Hazelnut Extract. 2 weeks in Secondary and then bottle/keg and carb.

It really did turn out fantastic, if I do say so myself.

NuttySkidMarc by Marc_Boudreau, on Flickr

Nutty SkidMarc by Marc_Boudreau, on Flickr

I think I'm "finished" with this recipe. I've been tweaking it and tweaking it and I'm finally at a point where I believe it's "done". The last batch was fantastic, a hint of chocolate, nice and nutty, no residual flavours on the tongue. All in all a crowd favourite at my place and one that is now a house beer.

Nutty SkidMarc

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Bitterness: 25.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.011
ABV: 7.1%

18 lbs - 2 Row
2 lbs - Chocolate Malt
1.5 lbs - Demerra Sugar
1.25 lbs - Carapils
1 lb - Brown Malt
.75 lb - Flaked Wheat

1 oz - Nugget - 45 mins
1.5 oz - Mt. Hood - 20 mins

2 pkgs - Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast 1084

2 tbsp - Hazelnut Extract - Rack on top of this in a clean secondary for 2 weeks

I am really pleased with this beer! Have a keg of it on tap at home right now.

We're going to try this as our next recipe but are still pretty new to brewing. Please clarify, the 60 minute boil is for the grains only (the mash), right? Did you also add the sugar with the grains? Sorry if it's a silly Q, but brewing recipes are still a bit Greek to me.. Thanks!

Partial mash is typically boiling 5 gallons. You will take the grains out and add the extract and then raise it to a boil. After 15 minutes/45 minutes remain, add the first hops noted above. After 25, next hops. Chill it to 65f or so, add yeast, etc.

If you can't do a full 5 gallon boil, do half of the extract at 60 minutes, the other half at 10 minutes. Chill and transfer, then top up.

Back