• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

ME Medical Grade Oxygen Tanks And Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
Are you using pure oxygen to oxyginate your wort prior to fermentation?? You should be :cross:

I have four ME model Medical grade oxygen tanks for sale with one regulator. All tanks are empty and can be shipped via USPS. The regulator is missing a small o-ring and leaks. Should be an easy fix. I have a larger tank that should last me a lifetime and no longer need these smaller tanks.

You will recieve 4 ME tanks and 1 regulator pictured.

I will take $60.00 plus you pay actual USPS shipping to your door. I will wrap tanks individually and package all four ina box for shipping. First one to PM me gets them.

They weight about 9 lbs a piece and would require a box 12"X12"X30" to ship and my zip 20622. You can use this info to get a quote on shipping via USPS.

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

You need a Rx in order to get medical O2 tanks filled. Unlike the normal tanks you find in welding supply store. Every place that I've gone to, that can handle both, has said (point blank) that without an Rx, in your name, they won't even touch a medical O2 tank (if you bring one in). They also won't sell you one without a Rx.

Of course if YOU want to go around the laws/regulations do so at your own risk. IMO the penalty/risk isn't worth the reward by a long shot.

You need a Rx in order to get medical O2 tanks filled. Unlike the normal tanks you find in welding supply store. Every place that I've gone to, that can handle both, has said (point blank) that without an Rx, in your name, they won't even touch a medical O2 tank (if you bring one in). They also won't sell you one without a Rx.

Of course if YOU want to go around the laws/regulations do so at your own risk. IMO the penalty/risk isn't worth the reward by a long shot.

Thanks for the input. I have no problem getting them filled. I'm pretty sure the ATF has better things to do than bust someone for buying or selling O2 ;)really. As for the tanks they are "Empty" and are not illegal to sell without a perscription. The current tank I am using is a large med grade O2 tank that has the same connection as the non med grade tanks and can be filled anywhere they sell O2. So I'm willing to take the risk of selling a perfectly leagal tank if someone is willing to purchase it. No risk and no going around regulations. Thanks

Not sure how they do things in Maryland, but in this part of MA you can't get medical O2 tanks filled (or purchase them from any place that has then) without a Rx.

I would suggest that anyone thinking about buying one of these checks with local places to get then filled BEFORE buying one.

Probably a good idea if the seller was to put up the hydro stamp dates for the tanks. You might run into issues there too.

Approx how many batches does one of these tanks last for? What is the capacity of each tank?

It's hard to say how many batches but the capacity is 680 liters. I have used one tank close to 200 gallons. So four tanks filled would last a long time as long as you do not have any leaks. I make it a point to remove the regulator after each batch.

Not sure how they do things in Maryland, but in this part of MA you can't get medical O2 tanks filled (or purchase them from any place that has then) without a Rx.

I would suggest that anyone thinking about buying one of these checks with local places to get then filled BEFORE buying one.

Probably a good idea if the seller was to put up the hydro stamp dates for the tanks. You might run into issues there too.

Good points but I'm pretty sure if you call and ask any medical O2 supplier they will tell you “No” they can't be filled without a prescription. If you carry a tank in and ask to have it filled you may likely get a different answer. I have every time. Just saying.

I feel your information is misleading due to the fact that medical grade O2 tanks can absolutely be purchased legally without a prescription. Amazon and many other places including ebay sell them without a prescription. I prefer the medical grade tanks and regulators due to the fact they can be precisely regulated and the disposable tanks regulators are known to be difficult to meter accurately. Not to mention I am selling 4 tanks with a regulator for less than you can purchase one tank new. I appreciate your concern for fellow HBT members and I highly recommend that anyone considering purchasing them is aware of the information you feel compelled to keep pointing out but I thought this was the "classifieds" section not the “Getting an O2 tank filled” discussion?

I fill my medical tank at a welding shop but mine has a regulator that has an attachment to allow it to be filled with a welding tank. I never had a problem getting it filled with welding 02 but the shop told me they never refill medical tanks with the above attachments. They strickly swap tanks with a Rx.

Also, it would be good to list the hydro date on the tanks to make sure they are not past their 5 year rating

edit... with a 0.5 micron stone at 1 lpm will give you over 8 ppm with 1 min of gas = 680 5 gallon batches

I do not get it... are people huffing oxygen?

Seems stupid they are regulating pure O2...

What they need to do regulate is dihydroxymonoxide, stop people consuming it without a prescription, people are abusing that stuff EVERYWHERE!

CCBrewer said:
I do not get it... are people huffing oxygen?

Seems stupid they are regulating pure O2...

What they need to do regulate is dihydroxymonoxide, stop people consuming it without a prescription, people are abusing that stuff EVERYWHERE!

This is off topic but oxygen is regulated as it can cause death if misused. Too much oxygen causes hypoxia. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity Just like oxygen can oxidize beer, if breathed in too high of concentrations, it can oxidize cell membranes and cause problems.

Every place I've asked about getting O2 filled, and have seen the medical tanks there, has told me that they are restricted from FILLING the tanks to ONLY people who present them with the Rx for MEDICAL O2. THEY cannot sell the tanks, even, without the Rx. To be clear, these are places I've actually gone into, not called over the phone.

As for what people sell on ebay and other online places, it doesn't really matter. I would just advise that anyone buying one of these tanks checks with local O2 filling stations/suppliers/etc to make SURE they can get them filled without a Rx BEFORE purchasing them.

As I also stated, this is in MY area (Boston vicinity) and other areas of the country could be different. Even though the regulations might still exist in the other locations, the enforcement might be more relaxed and not really an issue. Of course in MA, the state wants to run every aspect of our lives and penalize us if we do anything that they don't like/approve of... Yet another reason why I'm looking to get the F out of MA ASAP...

this thread is hilarious. i think its been stated like four or five times that you gotta have an rx to fill this tank. i can't believe people care this much to come post over and over the same thing, like a broken record.

this thread is hilarious. i think its been stated like four or five times that you gotta have an rx to fill this tank. i can't believe people care this much to come post over and over the same thing, like a broken record.

it is not that we are being a broken record but warning potential buyers that they need to be careful. If I was unaware of this and was told it right before I bought a tank that would be useless, I would appreciate it quite a bit.

Has anyone went to the doctor and asked for a prescription so that they could get one of these tanks filled?

Still have the tanks...Pretty sure a perscription would be easty to obtain. Getting your insurance to cover it is a different story. I'm going to level with my doctor and see if he will give me one. He likes my beer :D

I'll take them, PM sent.

If I need a rx to get them filled then I guess I will just have to ask my doctor for one. Luckily for me that means I just have to ask my spouse and she likes my beer so I don't think I'll have a problem getting one.

Latest posts

Back