laws on importing beer in canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjiefx

Reaction score
Hey there fellow brewers!

I have this one question. Does any one of you know what is the law for beer importing from the USA to Canada?

I tasted some real good stuff from the USA at a big beer fest past week-end. I was wondering if you had to stay in the USA for a certain time before you could bring back some beer.

I would really like to go on a USA shipping spree and come back with a bunch of stuff to taste at home. I don't know if such a ting is even possible. If it is, will I have to pay a **** load of taxes?

If you know about that, please let me know!

Thanks!

PS: Rogue Imperial IPA is one hoppy beer! (one I'd like to bring home)

Alcohol and Tobacco - Restrictions apply to the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring into Canada under your exemption. If you have been outside Canada for at least 48 hours and are of legal age, you can bring in these amounts of alcohol and tobacco products free of duty and tax as part of your personal exemption:

Alcoholic beverages:

* 1.14 L (40 oz.) of liquor; or
* 1.5 L of wine; or
* 24 X 355 ml (12 oz.) containers of beer
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/060-eng.html

What SPLASTiK says is true, but that only applies to your exemption. You can bring much more across the border if you're prepared to pay duty and taxes. You might want to buy a jar of vaseline and try to relax as they ring it up, but you can do it.

Mmmmm...

I think I'd better try to find a place up here where they sell good USA Beer. Maybe I'll try to write to Rogue and Dogfish to know if they are distributed around here. Is there anything else you think I have to try?

Since you're in Quebec, I imagine you have access to Trois Rivieres. Also, one of my favorites is Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale. Our American friends can't get it, so if you want to organize a trade it might be a good bargaining chip. Last weekend I bought a Fish Tale Brewing India Pale Ale that was fantastic. It's an organic beer imported from the US but it was on the shelf in the liquor store next town over.

There are several microbrews around such as Big Rock in Alberta and Fort Garry Brewing and Half Pints in Winnipeg. I find that Half Pints isn't too bad, but the others seem to be trying to appeal to a broader audience and as a result their brews are somewhat predictable. I still wouldn't hesitate to grab one over Molson's, Labatt's or American-wanna-be BMC, but there are better choices. Mill St.Brew Brewery out of Toronto makes Tankhouse Ale. It's a lovely little hop bomb.

You should check out Bieropholie.
When you become a member, they take care of all the hassles, and charge you one straight price (not added shipping, borders fees...).

They do a rotation where they import from different regions/countries, so it can be while before the USA comes up, but it still beats doing it by yourself.

Slightly off-topic, I went to the Montreal Beer Fest and tasted about 20 different brews, as well as expanding my glass collection (St. Ambroise Abricot Ale and Framboise, Orval, Pilsner Urquell, La Chouffe and the 15th Anniversary "Mondial" glass). I can tell you all the beers I tasted and my (short!) comments on each if you are interested.

Here is the response I recieved from ROGUE:

Thank you for your interest. We do currently have distribution in a number of Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, and Nova Scotia.

The SAQ has ordered from us before, but not on a consistent basis. L'Autre Oeil has placed an order but will not have beers for at least one month.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale is a permanent listing in Ontario at the LCBO stores. Brutal Bitter was in the stores this past spring and Hazelnut Brown Nectar will be available this fall.

I would suggest contacting the SAQ and letting them know that you would like more Rogue in Quebec.

Kindest regards,

I'll have to check the law on how much beer I can bring back paying taxes and duty and maybe I'll go down there this summer!

Total cost of importing beer is 0.676$/litre.

So I figure a 1/4 barrel = 30.75 litres ~ $21$CDN to pay at border.

I have to try this for myself.....

Here is the link LCBO Ask Us

Cheers

Back