need a recipe for dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an extract recipe for Hacker Pschorr Weisse Dark,
I did the partial mash version and it came out very nice.

Extract
6.25 lbs of Wheat DME

Grains
8 oz. German Munich Malt
7 oz. Cara munich malt
1 oz Chocolate malt

Hops
1 oz Tettnanger hops 4% AA

Yeast
WLP-300 Hefeweizen

Bottle with 1.25 cups Wheat DME

OG. 1.055-56

Good luck man, my friends have been asking for more of this one.

While the Hacker Weisse Dark is no doubt a great recipe, it won't be anything close to the Hofbrau Dunkel, which is a dark Munch Dunkel style lager, not a dunkelweisse.

I have no experience brewing a Munich Dunkel, but I know a lot of people swear by Austin Homebrew Supply kits, and they have one.

Isn't a Dunkel a lager? You would need to be able to lager the brew. I would think the recipe above is something between a Dunkel and Hefe Weizen. Thus why there is a Dunkel Wiezen. I just brewed and drank a Dunkel Wiezen extract kit with specialty grains from Listermann's in Cincy. It's pretty good. I spent some time in Germany and got hooked on Andech's Dunkel. That is to die for and have been unable to find a recipe for that. It is only sold in Germany from what I understand. From what I understand Dunkel Weisen is as close as you to Dunkel without doing the Lagering.

Discalimer, I am a newbie and have only been brewing for about 6 months. If anyone can shed some more lite here, all input welcome.

Enough Weyermann Munich Amber extract to get your gravity up in the range of 1.048 - 1.056
Steep a bit of Carafa Special II (~1/2 pound) for color.

Use German hops, and aim for around 20 IBU bittering (60 minutes), add a bit (~3 IBU) of the same hops with 20 minutes left in the boil.

Pick a lager yeast (I've used WLP830 with nice results), make a big starter, and ferment at ~50F. When finished, rack to secondary and lager at 35F-40F for at least 4 weeks.

Back