Noob brewed too high gravity a beer, needs help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
I brewed a batch a little while ago, it was a chocolate porter/stout. I didn't realize at the time that my gravity was well over 1.060 (like 1.070 me thinks) and I pitched a packet of Nottingham ale yeast.

It krausened and bubbled out the airlock slowly (though there was alot of krausen) and after 3 days I transfered it out the bucket into a carboy (fruit flies where going crazy around the bucket)

So now its just sitting there, I agitated it acouple days ago and it bubbled through the airlock once or twice. I just took a reading and its a 1.040. I was wondering if I should re pitched some yeast?

I brewed this batch 8/27

Sean

Sounds like you racked it way too early and will need to repitch; 3 days is too short a primary for just about any beer, let alone something with a high gravity.

I would buy another packet of Nottinghams, pitch it, and attach a blow-off. Then let it sit for at least 2 weeks (you can replace the blow-off with an airlock once the bubbling simmers down). Once you know fermentation is complete (by taking hydrometer readings on consecutive days), you can go ahead and bottle.

Thanks alot, I thought as much, just needed some reassurance. I'll definitely repitch soon since it taste like it'll be pretty good!

Sean

Also try to move it some where that the fruit flies cant get to it. that may help out.

Cheers

Back