Tripel stopped carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterBomz

Reaction score
I recently bottled a batch of tripel. Used wlp500 for the batch. The recipe called for 1 1/4 cup wheat DME for a primer, so I boiled a solution. I bottled on October 30th, it is now November 20th. I just cracked open a bottle and there is hardly any of the foggy co2 gas normally released when opening a bottle, and there is almost no head. I can taste very small bubbles on my tongue, but am a little concerned with the carbonation progress.

Is it possible to repitch priming sugar and then re-bottle at this point? I've never messed with DME as a primer, and at this point I'm wo.wondering if I didn't use enough, or if I should just keep waiting. Any thoughts? Again, this is my first time using DME as a primer, so maybe I just need to be patient, but I'm not entirely sure. ABV is 9.0% BTW...

I recently bottled a batch of tripel. Used wlp500 for the batch. The recipe called for 1 1/4 cup wheat DME for a primer, so I boiled a solution. I bottled on October 30th, it is now November 20th. I just cracked open a bottle and there is hardly any of the foggy co2 gas normally released when opening a bottle, and there is almost no head. I can taste very small bubbles on my tongue, but am a little concerned with the carbonation progress.

Is it possible to repitch priming sugar and then re-bottle at this point? I've never messed with DME as a primer, and at this point I'm wo.wondering if I didn't use enough, or if I should just keep waiting. Any thoughts? Again, this is my first time using DME as a primer, so maybe I just need to be patient, but I'm not entirely sure. ABV is 9.0% BTW...

High ABV beers take a lot longer to carb up, plus DME takes a lot longer to carb up than corn sugar, so you've got two "a lot longers" there.

Just put them someplace warm for another few weeks and try again after at least 3 more weeks of at least 70 degrees.

That's what I had heard, which is why I implied the "patience" remedial. Two contributing factors of a delayed carbonation process..ugh. I figured, just wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks Yooper!

Back