Excess LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave8fire

Reaction score
New to the whole homebrew world and just did my first partial grain/extract. Most of the containers of LME that I have found are 3.3 pounds, the recipe calls for 5 pounds of a wheat malt and 2 pounds of a light. I hate to be wasteful, so what to do with the leftover?? Can it be saved, what overall effect would it have if you just used all of the LME?? thanks

dave althouse

If you use it all you will have a higher original gravity and probably higher ABV along with a diifference in flavor.
If I am following a recipe I prefer DME, it is easier to store excess, and less worries about age.

My brew buddy and I tend to follow the rule, more is better. I would add it in. Not a big fan of leftovers.

I do agree that you will get more alcohol and it will change the taste...but I don't mind the little extra alcohol and we aren't pro brewers attempting to get a consistent taste.

Back