Co2 pressure inconsistent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanfriz

Reaction score
Keg carbonated perfect. I set the regulator to 5psi and pours fine. After 2 or 3 it slows down and the pressure drops to zero so I have to mess with the dial until it gets right again. I did get the cheapest kit off eBay.... Is it a bad regulator? There are no leaks and will hold a consistent pressure as long as I don't get a beer. Get a new regulator or am I missing something really simple?

Keg carbonated perfect. I set the regulator to 5psi and pours fine. After 2 or 3 it slows down and the pressure drops to zero so I have to mess with the dial until it gets right again. I did get the cheapest kit off eBay.... Is it a bad regulator? There are no leaks and will hold a consistent pressure as long as I don't get a beer. Get a new regulator or am I missing something really simple?

Changing the psi like that from 5 psi to a different pressure will cause that. At 5 psi, it will slowly decarb so you'll need to bump it up.

Can you just simply set the regulator to one pressure, and leave it alone? That should solve all your problems.

My pressure is 11 psi at 39 psi and all of my kegs are perfect.

The only time I changed it was from 30psi when I carbonated it to 5 to drink.

When I pour a beer it won't maintain the psi. The psi drops and won't go back up unless I mess with the dial and take it back up manually.

From the Co2 tables I looked at 5-7 psi is where I want to keep it for the right carbonation.

Whenever you pour and the tank has to refill the newly created headspace in the keg... the gauge pressure will drop. However, after the headspace is refilled, it should return back to the set amount.

I agree with Yoop though... if you can just set it according to the carb chart and leave it, you won't have to mess with it unless there is a problem.

Changing the psi like that from 5 psi to a different pressure will cause that. At 5 psi, it will slowly decarb so you'll need to bump it up.

Can you just simply set the regulator to one pressure, and leave it alone? That should solve all your problems.

My pressure is 11 psi at 39 psi and all of my kegs are perfect.

+1. mine is set to 11 psi at 38-40 degrees also. some cheaper regulators stick at low pressures. bump the pressure up to 10-11 and see what happens. you'll probably see the pressure stabilize because the higher pressure will affect how the regulator works.

I'm going to try to bump it up to 10psi. My line is maybe 3 ft at most. I think my cheap regulator is the issue.

I set it but it won't refill the head space on its own. I have to take it back up to 7 until it drops to 0. So I'll adjust it to 10 and see if it works.

how are you setting this regulator? is it hooked up to the keg while you set it? you need to close the ball valve right after the regulator (if it has one) or at least disconnect the kegs before adjusting the pressure.

the gauge doesnt read what pressure the regulator is set to, it only reads the pressure in the line. if its hooked up to a keg it will be reading the pressure in the keg, even if you turn the set screw all the way to zero, it will still be reading the keg pressure.

Back