Northern brewer crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zurcj20

Reaction score
I am planning on going all-grain soon.:rockin: I an going to do no sparge biab. I want to start with a NB all-grain kit but I was wondering how the crush is. I do not have a mill of my own.

My first BIAB with Northern Brewer's standard crush got ~85% efficiency, I was impressed to say the least.

Just like everyone else here we have never had an issue with anything from NB. The only time we've missed the target O.G was when we order so much we forget about some grains for a month.

MeadMax said:
I work at Northern Brewer.
WE will crush it however you like.

Cheers!!!

Nice to have the source chime in on how they take care of the customers. Thanks. Makes me lean toward NB on my upcoming order of equipment.

MeadMax said:
I work at Northern Brewer.
WE will crush it however you like.

Cheers!!!

Really? That's good to know! I did get a partial mash kit from NB once and it barely looked crushed. I even called customer support to verify I didn't request uncrushed =/ I suppose everyone get a bad crush every once in a while.

After a few batches, think of buying yourself a mill and buying your base malt in bulk. Your mill will be paid for quickly in the money you save in grain.

NB does a great job w/ customer service!

After a few batches, think of buying yourself a mill and buying your base malt in bulk. Your mill will be paid for quickly in the money you save in grain.

NB is awesome and where I order from 95% of the time but the reason why I bought my grain mill was very low efficiency with my first wheat beer as it seemed they didn't adjust the gap tighter for the smaller wheat grains. Ever since I got my own grain it's pretty much a consistent 79% efficiency across the board.

Rev.

Will NB build a custom recipe and crush it? There website only sells grains in increments of 1#. I would like to mix in grains in as small as 1 ounce increments.

I dont think you can build your own recipe and have it milled and shipped custom. That is why I usually go to my lhbs lately. Sometimes I like to order a recipe from NB though.

I dont think you can build your own recipe and have it milled and shipped custom. That is why I usually go to my lhbs lately. Sometimes I like to order a recipe from NB though.

Brewmasters Warehouse will do this. brewmasterwarehouse.com

Use their BrewBuilder software to build or input your recipe, hit "buy this recipe". You can opt to have them crush it. You'll get it precrushed in a single bag.

Pilgarlic said:
Brewmasters Warehouse will do this. brewmasterwarehouse.com

Use their BrewBuilder software to build or input your recipe, hit "buy this recipe". You can opt to have them crush it. You'll get it precrushed in a single bag.

Good to know. Thanks! (sorry for the hijack)

Thanks guys, I just got my crushed grains from NB and was worried if they were crushed enough, checking this post says yes they are. Maybe I crush my grain too much with that mortar and pestle.
peace

Well I brewed my first All-grain biab over the weekend with NB. I got 72% efficiency. Thanks northern brewer.

Back