First Brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
Well, I finally finished up my first brew day at about 10:00p.m. If it could have gone wrong today it certainly did. I got a late start because of some errands that had to be run today. Then, the rain we weren't supposed to get came over just as my mash and sparge water had reached the right temperatures. Since I have a 3-tier systems, I had to drain the water and move the whole operation into the garage/basement. The mash went ok as well as the sparge but I don't think I got very good efficiency..How do you calculate that? After the boil I went to drain into my carboy and couldn't get anything to come out....clogged hopstopper, so I went to use my Fertech AutoSiphon. That would have been easy enough but the stupid thing wouldn't hold a siphon so I pretty much had to pump all of the chilled wort. This batch being infected is almost inevitable but I'm hoping for the best.

I did a Bavarian Hefeweizen...

5.5 lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat
4lbs Durst Pilsen

1 oz. Tettnang (60 minutes)

Wyeast #3333

I mashed at 154*F for 60 minutes 1.5 qts/lb, stirring every 15 minutes
Fly Sparged for 45 minutes

After the sparge my pre-boil gravity was 1.021 and boiled 7 gallons to 5.5 with OG ending up at 1.034

I hope this turns out like beer!!...any comments/observations?

I'll be doing an Oatmeal Stout next week.....wish me luck!!

Welcome to the club, the All Grain Club!

Looks like you'll have a nice light thirst quencher in a few weeks.

Back