Baltic Rye Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I've been brewing for couple years now, and I have found homebrewtalk to be an invaluable resource whenever I've had questions. I recently tasted my first really outstanding brew, so I thought I would join the ranks and share the recipe:

Baltic Rye Porter (Extract)

5 gallon batch, 60 minute boil

For the grain steep:

1 lb. Chocolate Rye Malt
1 lb. Caramel Malt - 120L
1 lb. Black Patent Malt

For the boil:

6 lbs. Pale LME
3 lbs. Amber LME

Hops:

1 oz. Perle @ 60 Minutes
1 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 10 Minutes

Yeast:

White Labs San Francisco Lager (WLP810)

Fermentation times:

Primary: 2 Weeks @ 50 Degrees
Secondary: 4 Weeks @ 50 Degrees
Bottle Condition: 1 Year @ 50 Degrees

Notes:

I added 8 oz. of French oak cubes soaked in a pint of bourbon for two weeks, as well as the bourbon, to the secondary.

Stats:

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.025
ABV: >7.2% (I'm not sure how much the bourbon contributed.)
IBUs: 24

This brew came out exceptionally silky and smooth, with a medium body and and a good inch of dense off-white foam. The roastiness is somewhat subdued, and it has a wonderful chocolaty breadiness that is not surprisingly reminiscent of pumpernickel bread. When I brew this again (I'm going to try an all-grain version now that I have the set-up) I would carb it slightly less, maybe 4 oz. of corn sugar.

Looks like an interesting recipe. Did you try any of the bottles at less then a year to find an acceptable drinking point or was 1 year it?

I didn't try any until a year out because they were being stored in the basement of an 1860's farmhouse that a friend is renovating, and I don't often get a chance to get out there. He tried a few along the way, and said that it was excellent after about two months. It took about that long to carb up, I suspect because of the time in the secondary and being conditioned at a rather cool temperature.

Now I want to brew this and soak the oak in, well Rye. I'd also be going all grain. I'm thinking belgian two row, but I'm not really sure how to replace the amber extract.

Latest posts

Back