Hop Bill for Mango IPA...need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublea

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to HBT, but figured I'd jump right in...

I am brewing an IPA tomorrow and am undecided on my hop bill. In particular, although I know how to size IBUs (I use Beersmith), I'm not quite sure how to handle the hops added later in the boil or dry hopped. I have the following in my stash...

4oz of Citra
3oz amarillo
1 or 2 oz cascade
1 or 2 oz centennial

I'm going for a beer the compliments the mango taste (infused after primary ferment), so a little on the drier side, and trying to use hops with more of a fruit, piny aroma to them.

I'm thinking something like..

1oz centennial at 60 min (31.1 IBU)
1oz cascade at 30 min (13.8 IBU)
1oz Amarillo at 10 min (10 IBU)
2+ Oz Citra Dry hop

If you have any suggestions (and hopefully critiques), please help by sharing the reasoning behind them! My thought was to pick a higher alpha acid hop for bittering, and get a little bit of bitterness and some aroma from cascade (halfway), and get most of the aroma from the amarillo (grapefruit) and citra (peachy).

Cheers!

Andy

i think citra is very mango. I would use all citra if you could, or atleast use citra for the flavoring hops later in the boil. That being said, citra is a bad ass dry hop as well. Amarillo also gives off tropical fruit notes, so I think you are right on with using a combo of the two.

How are you going to infuse mango flavor into it after primary?

Maybe my terminology is wrong -- I was going to rack onto a bed of cut up mango (2lbs fresh mango, cut up, frozen to break things up, then thawed and into the bucket) in my secondary. I had researched this a bit and wanted to add the mango AFTER the ferment to get the most aroma out.

I like the idea of amarillo and the citra. Other than that i really don't know what else might meld well. Willamette always is nice in an IPA. I supports other aroma hops very nicely. On another note i heard that Cigar City Brewing has done a few different beers adding various tropical fruits to the fermenter at the end of fermentation.

If you have any suggestions (and hopefully critiques), please help by sharing the reasoning behind them! My thought was to pick a higher alpha acid hop for bittering, and get a little bit of bitterness and some aroma from cascade (halfway), and get most of the aroma from the amarillo (grapefruit) and citra (peachy).

you won't get any aroma out of that cascade add, its pretty much all boiled off within the first 10mins. I think I'd just go with the centennial add (or similar) and then 1-2oz of citra/amarillo in the last few mins, and then your dry hop.

Back