concentrated juice conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inchrisin

Reaction score
general question for wine and mead:

I'm looking at a lot of recipes in my wild wines book and they use concentrated juices in the recipe. I'd like to avoid concentrates and just use real fruit this Summer. I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb for a conversion between the concentrates and the real thing? I have a recipe for the use of apple concentrate, grape juice concentrate, and orange juice concentrate (dunno if any would be higher than the others).

Cheers.

I don't know.. but I tend to use 3 lbs of fruit (though I might try bumping it up to 4 or 5 per a recommendation I got recently), 2 lbs of sugar, and 1 gallon of water, plus goodies (meta, energizer, pectic enzyme, etc).

I've never really tested it, but my assumption has been that a can of concentrate was roughly equivalent to a pound of fruit when "dreaming" up a new combo, and it's worked fairly well at keeping flavors balanced. I also second the 4-5lb/gal range suggestion.

Back