Priming vs Force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loxnar

Reaction score
About ready to siphon my beer into my home keg...was really wondering how long it would take if i used the corn sugar to carbonate the beer rather than force carbonation....i know force carb can take about 2-3 days (ive heard and tried the rock n roll method with zero success i still have flat beer and im probably not doing it right) but i guess my main question is how long should i expect it to take if i just boil the corn sugar in water add than rack the beer on top? i am lookign to drink this beer within the next 5 days or so so i am assuming i will want to force carb it.....also is there any advantage flavor wise to any of these three methods

Force carbonation does not make your beer available any faster. Conditioning takes exactly the same amount of time, regardless of how you carbonate. If you prime, figure 2-3 weeks, just like bottles.

5 days, huh? You must be new...I'll let you in on a little secret...FERMENTATION IS A NATURAL PROCESS THAT CANNOT BE ALTERED WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES. ;)

Mine are in the bottle at least 1 month before I start sharing them. :mug:

Assuming your beer is fully fermented and simply lacks carbonation, yes, you can have beer ready to drink in 5 days.

Force carbonation is generally quicker than priming a keg because yeast need a bit of time to produce the CO2 that will carb-up your beer. If you beer has been in the fermenter for a long time and much of the yeast has settled out, this can sometimes take a week or more. But even if it is fresh, it will never be faster than applying force carbonation (all else being equal).

Personally, I have found no difference in taste between force carbing with head pressure vs. priming.

5 days, huh? You must be new...I'll let you in on a little secret...FERMENTATION IS A NATURAL PROCESS THAT CANNOT BE ALTERED WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES. ;)

Mine are in the bottle at least 1 month before I start sharing them. :mug:

yea its done fermenting =p i am questioning more the carbonating process and so far ive only done one batch with sugar the rest i have carbonated with gas i didnt see a difference....thanks for the info

Back