Wormwood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the few varieties of European Absinthe I have tried (ie, Czech, Spanish) which contain the USDA banned ingredient Wormwood. I recently saw this ingredient at a local HBS. It has a warning on it that it should not be ingested as the USDA considers it a toxin (due to the Thujone presence). Has anyone tried or heard of someone who has tried brewing with it? I am curious as to what kind of style this ingredient would work best in. I have no idea what flavor it carries as I've not tasted wormwood-free absinthe.

I'm not sure what it tastes like alone. You could make your own absinth, though. Just drop the wormwood into a bottle of jaegermeister and let it stay there. Theoretically, the thujone content will increase over time. Personally, I never noticed any effects (other than drunkenness) from absinth.

Back