Wort cooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Using an ice bath to cool the wort. I kept the lid partially on during cooling. Is this a no no? Noticed some of the bottom sediment rising and moving around so I removed it. What do you think?

Keep the lid off. Aside from obviously holding in heat that would slow your cooling process quite a bit, slow cooling also helps in forming DMS that will give you off flavors.

+1 on keeping the lid off. I use an ice bath to cool my wort and I leave the lid off and GENTLY stir it to speed up the cooling process.

You don't have to be gentle with the stirring - PRE fermentation, a good hit of O2 is a good thing - the yeast reproduce aerobically - they need O2. POST fermentation, O2 is a bad thing...

So stir vigorously, to drop those temps.

I agree that oxygen is needed pre-fermentation but I always aerate after the wort is cool. There is a lot of info out there (on this site particularly) about hot wort aeration and how it can cause off flavors. Some believe it isn't an issue for homebrewers but I'd rather not take the risk....

Back