Wheat Beer Final Gravity 1.02 - sweet to the taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaky

Reaction score
So I went on vacation and left a batch in my clarifying carboy when I left. It already had 2 weeks in fermenting and 3 weeks in clarifying.
When i racked to clarifying i had a gravity reading of 1.02. Didn't think much of it.. thought a bit of areation might take it down.

I wanted to take it off the lees, so I moved it to a corny keg... and that's where i took a gravity reading and a taste.. and it is sweet... more than I would expect and doesn't feel very alcoholic. off hand I think my SG was 1.04 and some. I'll have to check notes but I think I used Nottingham which is usually a good performer.

So.. here is my dilemma... i have it now in the corny keg. I pressurized it using c02 - should i add a bit of yeast to help it finish? I did put some priming sugar... so that is a possible complication...

Any suggestions? Should I repitch a finishing yeast? Should i let it sit and see what it does? Is it ok to do a second ferment in a corny keg or is taht problematic?

If you put in priming sugar I would just take it off the CO2 and let it ferment out for another 2 weeks and see what happens. You should also probably warm it up to the optimal temp for that yeast. If it was notty then move it up to upper 60's or so. Let the priming sugar ferment out at least. Then give it another taste.

If you put in priming sugar I would just take it off the CO2 and let it ferment out for another 2 weeks and see what happens. You should also probably warm it up to the optimal temp for that yeast. If it was notty then move it up to upper 60's or so. Let the priming sugar ferment out at least. Then give it another taste.

I actually took the yeast off the secondary and I'm seeing if I can re-activate it. I wonder if the yeast is basically stuck/dead etc. so i'm doing that in parrallel.

it's a bit trickier now that it's in the corny, but I guess those things can handle lots of pressure. I'm trying to figure out if I should repour it back into a carboy.
I'll double check my basement temp to see if that may be a factor.

if i were to repitch, would you have a specific yeast recommendation? i have a dry wheat safalle, nottingham, some munich and hmm.. some wlp 400.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the pressure in the corny they can handle 100psi plus, but you can also bleed off the pressure a few times a day just to not stress the yeast. As for pitching another yeast I would probably go with the same, but I would give it more time before you worry about that.

problem solved ;-)
in just a few days the sweetness has dissipated. It looks tome like nothing much happened in secondary and it picked back up when transfered to kegging. it actually tastes really good. i just did what you said, bled off co2 every so often and that seemed to do the trick.

Latest posts

Back