Confused about Receptacles, Plugs, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cioffi

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm putting together parts for my e-brewery. After doing some searches, including looking at Kal's website, on receptacle and plugs, I'm still somewhat confused. I'm using my dryer outlet for the power source and will use two 5500W elements. So, are L6-30 receptacles and plugs sufficient? And does anybody know where I can find a decent price on do a 4-prong receptacle to receive the power cord from the dryer outlet?

Sorry for the newbie questions here.

Thanks, Todd

You can use the exact ones Kal used, or you can do your own thing. There's just a few important things to remember.

-Make sure you plan your Male/Female Outlets, so that when you unplug a cord, the prongs are not hot still. It sounds simple, but it often gets over looked.

-Make sure each plug/receptacle is rated for an amperage that is comfortably above what you're going to need. If you aren't going to have both elements on at the same time, 30amp receptacles and plugs are fine.

-Locking connectors are nicer, and safer, but you don't absolutely need them.

-Make sure everything fits, lol

Very helpful - thanks! Yet, I don't understand how an unplugged cord could still have "hot" plugs. How do you check for that?

What he means is you do NOT want to make a cord that looks anything like this:

cordcaps.jpg

If you plug one end into the wall, the other end has exposed metal prongs that are electrified and you can easily shock yourself.

**EDIT**

Bobby beat me to it, but I have a picture :)

Ah, seeing a cord with two male plugs clears up my confusion about a plug still being "hot" - not good. As for the other question, I'll only be running one element at a time.

What he means is you do NOT want to make a cord that looks anything like this:

cordcaps.jpg

If you plug one end into the wall, the other end has exposed metal prongs that are electrified and you can easily shock yourself.

**EDIT**

Bobby beat me to it, but I have a picture :)

I think they call that a cattle prod.

I think they call that a cattle prod.

Haha... cattle prod is a rather apt description. People occasionally make these to back feed power into their house from a genny during power outages. They are usually referred to as a "suicide cord"

Back