O2 aeration of wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaHarry

Reaction score
Can I use the O2 from my oxy/acetylene torch as the source of O2? I can't say as I am interested in getting a dedicated O2 bottle just for aerating.

What do you use?

O2 is 02 no matter what the bottle looks like. I have a torch setup also but aerating is something I have played with and decided that its a waste of time or oxygen. Just my opinion

O2 is 02 no matter what the bottle looks like. I have a torch setup also but aerating is something I have played with and decided that its a waste of time or oxygen. Just my opinion

After listening to Palmer and Jamil's Brew Strong show, I couldn't agree with you more. Shaking the fermenter is a very effective way of oxygenating your beer. Just a ton heavier than a hose. :cross:

Can I use the O2 from my oxy/acetylene torch as the source of O2? I can't say as I am interested in getting a dedicated O2 bottle just for aerating.

What do you use?

I just took some tubing, plugged one end and then just above the plug used a needle heated up red hot to make a bunch of little holes. The holes extend about 3 inches above the plug. When I rack the cooled wort from my boil pot through this tube.......it causes it to spray into the bucket which forces aeration. It also acts as a filter to catch any trub that gets picked up. Seems to work really well, and my yeast usually takes off really fast.

I do, but make sure you are using a HEPA filter.

I hear ya' but don't you think this is being a little paranoid?

I mean before the days of fish pump aerating or oxygenating did you waterfall your wort through a HEPA filter? Did you wisk your open fermenter in a "pressurized clean room"?

I won't deny that it is good advice leaning on the safe side but, I wouldn't say it's necessary.

I drilled an SS screw lengthwise and crosswise, don't remember off-hand what size, suffice to say it was small, then stacked several SS washers on the bolt, locked them against the screw head with an SS nut, then threaded it into some 1/4" copper tubing. Yes, it was tight but it worked. I wasn't about to waste X number of dollars on a SS stone as some multi-posters suggested when I can practically build the same thing.

There is another post around about using a venturi. Basically putting a small section of pipe, say broken filling wand, in your syphon hose and putting a small hole in it that sucks air in as the beer syphons through.

I just took some tubing, plugged one end and then just above the plug used a needle heated up red hot to make a bunch of little holes. The holes extend about 3 inches above the plug. When I rack the cooled wort from my boil pot through this tube.......it causes it to spray into the bucket which forces aeration. It also acts as a filter to catch any trub that gets picked up. Seems to work really well, and my yeast usually takes off really fast.

Are you driving this with a pump, or gravity? I would think a handfull of hop spooge would be a problem too.

Back